This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As 2017 draws to a close, there’s no better time than now to reflect on the year that was. In terms of charitable giving, 2017 was The Points Guy’s best year ever. As a company, TPG has donated more than $500,000 and millions of miles to charities ranging from hurricane relief to getting members of the LGBTQ out of life-threatening conditions and to safety.
Philanthropy is a huge part of the culture at The Points Guy. Each year, we look to expand our donations and the organizations that are doing amazing work. At the end of the day, the points and miles we earn can be used for so much more than premium travel experiences for ourselves. That’s why we’re committed to using those same points and miles — and cash! — to do good.
Here’s a look back at some of the philanthropic highlights from 2017:
- GlobalGiving for Hurricane Harvey Relief
- Goalkeepers (part of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- Housing Works
- Human Rights Campaign
- Puerto Rico Relief (including from profits from the TPG Shop)
- Rainbow Railroad
With how much of a success 2017 has been in terms of giving, we’re incredibly excited to kick 2018 off with a bang. The first week of January, the TPG team will head to Puerto Rico. Following the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Maria, the island is in desperate need of help to get back on its feet. One area that hits especially close to home for TPG is the tourism industry. Because Puerto Rico’s economy relies so heavily on tourism, the tourist attractions need some help to get back at their pre-storm levels. We’ve teamed up with the Puerto Rico tourism board to help rebuild some of the tourism attractions on the island.
In 2018, we’re hoping to beat 2017 in terms of amount donated — cash and points and miles — and the organizations to which we donate. We want to get you, our readers, to get more involved. In 2018, we aim to let you know about any opportunities for you to donate your points and miles or cash to help create good in our communities and around the world. Additionally, we’d like to sincerely thank you for supporting TPG so we can continue to support such amazing causes.
Happy New Year, and thank you for your generosity in 2017! We look forward to continue giving in 2018.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees