This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As 2017 draws to a close, there’s no better time than now to reflect on the year that was. In terms of charitable giving, 2017 was The Points Guy’s best year ever. As a company, TPG has donated more than $500,000 and millions of miles to charities ranging from hurricane relief to getting members of the LGBTQ out of life-threatening conditions and to safety.
Philanthropy is a huge part of the culture at The Points Guy. Each year, we look to expand our donations and the organizations that are doing amazing work. At the end of the day, the points and miles we earn can be used for so much more than premium travel experiences for ourselves. That’s why we’re committed to using those same points and miles — and cash! — to do good.
Here’s a look back at some of the philanthropic highlights from 2017:
- GlobalGiving for Hurricane Harvey Relief
- Goalkeepers (part of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- Housing Works
- Human Rights Campaign
- Puerto Rico Relief (including from profits from the TPG Shop)
- Rainbow Railroad
With how much of a success 2017 has been in terms of giving, we’re incredibly excited to kick 2018 off with a bang. The first week of January, the TPG team will head to Puerto Rico. Following the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Maria, the island is in desperate need of help to get back on its feet. One area that hits especially close to home for TPG is the tourism industry. Because Puerto Rico’s economy relies so heavily on tourism, the tourist attractions need some help to get back at their pre-storm levels. We’ve teamed up with the Puerto Rico tourism board to help rebuild some of the tourism attractions on the island.
In 2018, we’re hoping to beat 2017 in terms of amount donated — cash and points and miles — and the organizations to which we donate. We want to get you, our readers, to get more involved. In 2018, we aim to let you know about any opportunities for you to donate your points and miles or cash to help create good in our communities and around the world. Additionally, we’d like to sincerely thank you for supporting TPG so we can continue to support such amazing causes.
Happy New Year, and thank you for your generosity in 2017! We look forward to continue giving in 2018.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees