United’s Extending Expiring 1K and Global Services Upgrades Through April 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While I never have any issue using up my United Premier 1K upgrade certificates before they expire each January 31 — partially because I’m able to redeem them for reviews and TPG team travel — I often hear from many United elites who unfortunately aren’t able to take advantage before the expiration date hits.
If you’re anticipating having leftover elite perks and other expiring benefits, I encourage you to share them with friends, family members and fellow TPG readers. Or, in the case of United’s Global Premier Upgrades, there’s another option to consider as well.
As the airline’s done in past years, United’s allowing elite members to extend up to two Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) before they expire on January 31, 2018. Once extended, they’ll be valid through April 30, 2018, as you can see reflected in my account below.
There are a few restrictions and requirements to keep in mind:
- You must have already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status for the 2018 program year.
- You must call the MileagePlus Service Center at 800-421-4655 to request the extension.
- You can extend a maximum of two GPUs — regional certificates may not be extended.
While United has offered a similar extension in recent years, it’s never a guarantee — I don’t go into the year expecting to be able to extend my GPU expiration, but in this case I did have two left over that I’m now able to use to join a friend on a trip to Taiwan this coming winter.
After a 10-minute call to United to get my upgrades extended, I was able to confirm business class at booking, with a round-trip on the airline’s new 777-300ER no less. Had it not been for UA’s generosity, I would have needed to use upgrades that aren’t set to expire until 2019 — and I’m certain I’ll be able to put those to use on another flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees