United’s Extending Expiring 1K and Global Services Upgrades Through April 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While I never have any issue using up my United Premier 1K upgrade certificates before they expire each January 31 — partially because I’m able to redeem them for reviews and TPG team travel — I often hear from many United elites who unfortunately aren’t able to take advantage before the expiration date hits.
If you’re anticipating having leftover elite perks and other expiring benefits, I encourage you to share them with friends, family members and fellow TPG readers. Or, in the case of United’s Global Premier Upgrades, there’s another option to consider as well.
As the airline’s done in past years, United’s allowing elite members to extend up to two Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) before they expire on January 31, 2018. Once extended, they’ll be valid through April 30, 2018, as you can see reflected in my account below.
There are a few restrictions and requirements to keep in mind:
- You must have already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status for the 2018 program year.
- You must call the MileagePlus Service Center at 800-421-4655 to request the extension.
- You can extend a maximum of two GPUs — regional certificates may not be extended.
While United has offered a similar extension in recent years, it’s never a guarantee — I don’t go into the year expecting to be able to extend my GPU expiration, but in this case I did have two left over that I’m now able to use to join a friend on a trip to Taiwan this coming winter.
After a 10-minute call to United to get my upgrades extended, I was able to confirm business class at booking, with a round-trip on the airline’s new 777-300ER no less. Had it not been for UA’s generosity, I would have needed to use upgrades that aren’t set to expire until 2019 — and I’m certain I’ll be able to put those to use on another flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.