The Ultimate First-Class, A Million Miles From Car Rentals, Google Flights Makeover and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig got to check out Emirates’ new first-class suite on the Boeing 777-300ER. Let’s just say that he’s a fan.
Since April, JJ Todd has rented over 200 cars and racked up nearly 1.2 million United miles in the process.
Google Flights has been the go-to tool for frequent flyers. Now, Google has made it even easier to use — check out the updated interface here.
Chase added two new airlines to its list of transfer partners — Aer Lingus and Iberia. You can transfer UR points to the new partners at a 1:1 ratio. With the addition of the two new airlines, Chase cardholders have the option to transfer to nine airline partners and four hotel partners.
While Emirates’ new first class-suites are truly fantastic, the updated business-class seats need some updating — especially because they remain in a 2-3-2 configuration on the 777.
Not all heroes wear capes. On a recent Southwest flight, a flight attendant spiced up the pre-flight safety presentation with a …provocative… dance. Check out the full video here.
Before rideshare programs like Uber began, rental cars were the norm when landing at your destination. In a push to make car rental companies relevant again, Avis is offering an amazing promotion for rentals between the airport and your destination city at prices that are pretty great.
We’ve been working on a TPG merch line for several months and this week it finally launched. You’ll find a link to the Shop at the top of the homepage and directly at shop.thepointsguy.com.
In other news…
American Loses Another Partner in Gulf Air
In the wake of American Airlines losing several of its mileage partners, the airline recently announced that its 11-year relationship with Gulf Air is coming to an end in April 2018.
Chase Launches Similar Product to Amex Offers
Following the lead of American Express, Chase has added “Chase Offers,” which are limited time promotions that can save you some serious cash, or will reward you with sizable sums of bonus points. The catch here, though, is that it’s limited to just two Chase products currently.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.