This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig got to check out Emirates’ new first-class suite on the Boeing 777-300ER. Let’s just say that he’s a fan.
Since April, JJ Todd has rented over 200 cars and racked up nearly 1.2 million United miles in the process.
Google Flights has been the go-to tool for frequent flyers. Now, Google has made it even easier to use — check out the updated interface here.
Chase added two new airlines to its list of transfer partners — Aer Lingus and Iberia. You can transfer UR points to the new partners at a 1:1 ratio. With the addition of the two new airlines, Chase cardholders have the option to transfer to nine airline partners and four hotel partners.
While Emirates’ new first class-suites are truly fantastic, the updated business-class seats need some updating — especially because they remain in a 2-3-2 configuration on the 777.
Not all heroes wear capes. On a recent Southwest flight, a flight attendant spiced up the pre-flight safety presentation with a …provocative… dance. Check out the full video here.
Before rideshare programs like Uber began, rental cars were the norm when landing at your destination. In a push to make car rental companies relevant again, Avis is offering an amazing promotion for rentals between the airport and your destination city at prices that are pretty great.
We’ve been working on a TPG merch line for several months and this week it finally launched. You’ll find a link to the Shop at the top of the homepage and directly at shop.thepointsguy.com.
In other news…
American Loses Another Partner in Gulf Air
In the wake of American Airlines losing several of its mileage partners, the airline recently announced that its 11-year relationship with Gulf Air is coming to an end in April 2018.
Chase Launches Similar Product to Amex Offers
Following the lead of American Express, Chase has added “Chase Offers,” which are limited time promotions that can save you some serious cash, or will reward you with sizable sums of bonus points. The catch here, though, is that it’s limited to just two Chase products currently.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees