Final Goodbye to United’s 747, The State of Caribbean Tourism, WOW Expands Again and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig managed to snag the coveted seat 1A on for United’s final 747 flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL). Passengers and the crew dressed the part for the final flight and partied like it was 1970 on board for the duration of the flight.
While Zach was up in 1A, TPG‘s Nick Ellis was also lucky to grab a seat (though in economy) on UA 747 from SFO to HNL. It was a far cry from your typical economy flight.
The Caribbean faced monumental damage in early September after Hurricanes Maria and Irma swept through the region. Find out how each country is doing after being devastated by floodwaters, high-speed winds and extreme power outages.
United’s 747s are no longer flying, and now we know when Delta’s will be retired, too. This is your last chance to fly on the Queen on a US carrier, and you’re going to have to travel a long way from home to do so.
Earlier this year Hilton announced it was dropping Citi as a co-branded credit card partner and opted for a relationship with American Express exclusively. Now, Citi has shared that it will be dropping the Honors program as a transfer partner altogether.
Over the course of this year, WOW Air has been aggressively expanding in the US, offering $99 one-way flights to Iceland and beyond. On Tuesday, the airline announced it’s adding New York’s JFK airport to its list of cities and added more flights out of Newark (EWR).
Earlier this week, JetBlue began flying Mint-equipped jets from New York (JFK) to Las Vegas (LAS). And beginning January 4, travelers will be able to fly the much-loved product between Boston (BOS) and LAS.
World Airways, which began flying in the 1940s and ceased operations in 2014, is coming back after its acquisition by investment firm 777 Partners. It will be re-launched as a long-haul, low-cost carrier operating a fleet of modern Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
In other news…
Earn 1,000 Delta SkyMiles for Holiday Shopping
This holiday season, take advantage of shopping portals in order to earn even more points and miles. Delta currently has an offer that gives shoppers up to 1,000 bonus SkyMiles after spending $300.
Qatar Airlines Extends Free Doha Hotel Stopover Program Through April 2018
Qatar Airways rolled out a new program in May called +Qatar. This allows Qatar passengers to secure a 96-hour Qatari visa at no cost, plus one free night at a hotel. Now, the airline has extended this program through April 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.