Qatar Airways Purchases 9.61% Stake in Cathay Pacific
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways announced on Monday that it has agreed to acquire a 9.61% stake (378,188,000 shares) in Cathay Pacific Airways. The acquisition is worth HK$5.16 billion (about $662 million), and gives Qatar more access to the lucrative Chinese aviation market.
“Qatar Airways is very pleased to complete its financial investment in Cathay Pacific,” said Qatar CEO Akbar Al Baker. “Cathay Pacific is a fellow Oneworld member and is one of the strongest airlines in the world, respected throughout the industry and with massive potential for the future.”
The purchase makes history as the first-ever investment in an East Asian carrier by a Middle Eastern airline. As reported by Bloomberg, the purchase gives Qatar access to the very valuable and concentrated Chinese market. Within a decade, China is expected to become with world’s largest aviation market, a position currently held by the United States. Qatar is now the third-largest shareholder in Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific, behind Swire and Air China.
Following the announcement of Qatar’s purchase, Cathay’s CEO Rupert Hogg said that he looks forwards to a “continued constructive relationship” with Qatar. The two are both members of the Oneworld alliance and are known for their premium product offerings, such as Qatar’s new Qsuites business class and Cathay Pacific’s first class. Cathay is also facing financial trouble, after posting a loss of $260 million in the first half of 2017.
Investing in other airlines isn’t new for Qatar. The carrier already holds a 20% investment in International Airlines Group, a 10% investment in LATAM Airlines Group and a 49% investment in Meridiana. Earlier this year, Qatar announced plans to take a major stake in American Airlines, however, those plans were later scrapped because the investment no longer met the objectives of Qatar.
Featured image by Philippe Lopez / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees