This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN NOVEMBER 2017
More Southwest Flights to the Caribbean, Costa Rica and Cancun (launched November 5 and 11)
Details — Great news for Floridians: Earlier this month, Southwest began offering daily nonstop service from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS); Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ); and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO). The carrier also launched two nonstop flights from Nashville (BNA) and St. Louis (STL) to Cancun (CUN), giving folks up north a chance to enjoy a sunny getaway as well.
- WN618 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 12:35pm Departure → Providenciales (PLS) 3:25pm Arrival
- WN619 Providenciales (PLS) 4:20pm Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 5:15pm Arrival
- WN412 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 12:45pm Departure → Punta Cana (PUJ) 4:05pm Arrival
- WN413 Punta Cana (PUJ) 5:00pm Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:40pm Arrival
- WN303 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:35am Departure → San Jose (SJO) 1:30pm Arrival
- WN304 San Jose (SJO) 2:25pm Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:20pm Arrival
To Cancun (Saturdays):
- WN386 Nashville (BNA) 7:00am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 10:50am Arrival
- WN387 Cancun (CUN) 5:55pm Departure → Nashville (BNA) 7:45pm Arrival
- WN1985 St. Louis (STL) 11:40am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 3:45pm Arrival
- WN1986 Cancun (CUN) 2:55pm Departure → St. Louis (STL) 5:15pm Arrival
Lufthansa Launches Nonstop Flights From JFK to Berlin (launched November 8)
Details — For the first time in about 16 years, Lufthansa is offering nonstop service between New York (JFK) and Berlin (TXL). Flights operate five times a week aboard the carrier’s A330-300 aircraft — and it’s perfect timing for anyone planning a trip to see Germany’s famous Christmas markets this holiday season.
Schedule (5x a week on Mondays–Thursdays and Saturdays):
- LH407 New York (JFK) 10:20pm Departure → Berlin (TXL) 12:15pm (+1) Arrival
- LH406 Berlin (TXL) 5:35pm Departure → New York (JFK) 8:35pm Arrival
Alaska Airlines Adds Nonstop Service From San Diego to Mexico City (launched November 6)
Details — Alaska Airlines recently added nonstop flights between San Diego (SAN) and Mexico City (MEX). The new service is available daily all year long aboard Embraer RJ-175 aircraft, which are currently being operated by SkyWest Airlines.
- AS3314 San Diego (SAN) 7:05am Departure → Mexico City (MEX) 12:50pm Arrival
- AS3405 Mexico City (MEX) 7:25pm Departure → San Diego (SAN) 9:37pm Arrival
Fly to Rome on Norwegian Air From Newark and Los Angeles (launched November 9 and 11)
Details — Viva Italia! Norwegian Air’s nonstop service to Rome (FCO) operates from Newark (EWR) four times a week on Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays — in February 2018, it’ll change to daily service. You can also hop a plane from Los Angeles (LAX) twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays, switching to thrice-weekly service starting in February. Best of all, whichever city you’re coming from, you’ll arrive in style aboard Norwegian’s 787 Dreamliner. Twice-weekly service from FCO to Oakland (OAK) is also expected to launch February 6, 2018, marking the start of several new routes between the US and Europe.
Schedule: (4x a week, daily starting in February):
- D87024 Newark (EWR) 11:00pm Departure → Rome (FCO) 1:10pm (+1) Arrival
- D87023 Rome (FCO) 5:25pm Departure → Newark (EWR) 9:00 Arrival
2x a week until early February, then 3x a week:
- D87114 Los Angeles (LAX) 9:40pm Departure → Rome (FCO) 6:30pm (+1) Arrival
- D87113 Rome (FCO) 3:40pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 7:40pm Arrival
New Domestic and International Flights on Spirit Airlines (launched November 9 and 10)
Details — Spirit Airlines, the low-cost carrier everyone loves to hate, initiated 12 flights this month, including two nonstop international hops from Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and Chicago (ORD) to Cancun (CUN). While 11 of the 12 routes operate daily, note that New Orleans (MSY) to Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) only runs four times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
New International Routes (daily):
- NK1025 Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 9:39am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 1:25pm
- NK1030 Cancun (CUN) 2:15pm Departure → Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 5:46pm
- NK104 Chicago (ORD) 6:00am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 10:50am
- NK105 Cancun (CUN) 11:50am Departure → Chicago (ORD) 2:25pm
New Domestic Routes (daily, except MSY-MSP*, which only runs 4x per week):
- Chicago (ORD) — Palm Beach (PBI)
- Hartford (BDL) — Southwest Florida (RSW)
- Hartford (BDL) — Tampa (TPA)
- Las Vegas (LAS) — Newark (EWR)
- New Orleans (MSY) — Boston (BOS)
- New Orleans (MSY) — Newark (EWR)
- New Orleans (MSY) — Tampa (TPA)
- New Orleans (MSY) — Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)*
- Pittsburgh (PIT) — Southwest Florida (RSW)
- Pittsburgh (PIT) — Tampa (TPA)
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN NOVEMBER 2017
Copa Airlines Announces New Service From West Coast to Panama City
Details — Starting in 2018, it’ll be easier for folks on the West Coast to get to Panama City (PTY) thanks to a route expansion being planned by Copa Airlines. As of January 2, flights from Los Angeles (LAX) will increase from 21 per week to 25, while those from San Francisco (SFO) will rise from 14 per week to 18 as of March 1. Both additional routes will be operated by Copa’s Boeing 737 aircraft, which makes a nice option for trips between the US and Panama. The schedules for the two new flights are as follows:
4x a week on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays:
- CM396 Los Angeles (LAX) 12:30am Departure → Panama City (PTY) 10:14am Arrival
- CM302 Panama City (PTY) 6:16pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 10:35pm Arrival
4x a week on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays:
- CM385 San Francisco (SFO) 9:53pm Departure → Panama City (PTY) 8:05am (+1) Arrival
- CM384 Panama City (PTY) 12:20pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 4:58pm Arrival
Aer Lingus to Add Nonstop Flights Between Seattle and Dublin
Details — We mentioned last month how Aer Lingus had announced a new flight between Philadelphia (PHL) and Dublin (DUB) as of March 26, 2018. Now, flying to Ireland’s vibrant capital city from the West Coast is about to get easier thanks to the carrier’s planned nonstop service from Seattle (SEA) beginning May 18, 2018. The nearly 9.5-hour flight will be aboard Aer Lingus’s A330, giving passengers a comfortable ride home in time for dinner on the return trip.
Schedule (4x a week on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays):
- EI142 Seattle (SEA) 7:20pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 12:35pm (+1) Arrival
- EI143 Dublin (DUB) 3:50pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 5:35pm Arrival
New Routes to Reykjavik on American Airlines and WOW Air
Details — Tis the season to start planning that trip to Iceland. And between the outrageous flight deals we’ve been seeing lately and a slew of upcoming flights to Reykjavik (KEF) from Dallas (DFW), New York (JFK) and Baltimore/Washington (BWI) on American and WOW Air, there’s really no reason not to — especially you, Game of Thrones fans. Note that AA’s new routes will be served by its spiffy 757-200 aircraft, complete with lie-flat business-class seats, while WOW Air’s will be aboard the carrier’s A321s.
American Airlines (daily between June 7 and October 27, 2018):
- AA232 Dallas (DFW) 8:20pm Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 9:15am (+1) Arrival
- AA231 Reykjavik (KEF) 11:10am Departure → Dallas (DFW) 2:50pm Arrival
WOW Air (daily starting April 27, 2018):
- WW110 New York (JFK) 12:40am Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 10:45am Arrival
- WW109 Reykjavik (KEF) 9:10pm Departure → New York (JFK) 11:25pm Arrival
Daily service from BWI between May 18 and September 15, 2018:
- WW116 Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 12:45am Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 10:50am Arrival
- WW115 Reykjavik (KEF) 9:10pm Departure → Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 11:45pm Arrival
- WW118 Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 6:50pm Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 5:00am (+1) Arrival
- WW117 Reykjavik (KEF) 3:20pm Departure → Baltimore/Washington (BWI) 5:50pm Arrival
Southwest Announces New Domestic and International Flights Coming This Summer
Details — It’s never too early to start planning your next vacation. Southwest revealed its summer schedule on November 2, teasing nonstop routes from Oakland (OAK), San Antonio (SAT), Houston (HOU) and Baltimore (BWI) to a variety of international and domestic destinations.
Schedule (daily, starting July 15, 2018):
- WN3657 Oakland (OAK) 10:45am Departure → Indianapolis (IND) 5:55pm Arrival
- WN4156 Indianapolis (IND) 8:10am Departure → Oakland (OAK) 9:55am Arrival
- WN4225 Oakland (OAK) 10:40am Departure → Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) 4:05pm Arrival
- WN4161 Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) 7:45am Departure → Oakland (OAK) 9:40am Arrival
- WN4354 Oakland (OAK) 9:00am Departure → Orlando (MCO) 5:20pm Arrival
- WN4357 Orlando (MCO) 6:10pm Departure → Oakland (OAK) 8:40pm Arrival
Daily, starting July 8, 2018:
- WN4861 San Antonio (SAT) 2:10pm Departure → Oakland (OAK) 3:50pm Arrival
- WN4864 Oakland (OAK) 4:40pm Departure → San Antonio (SAT) 10:05pm Arrival
- WN3257 San Antonio (SAT) 6:45am Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 10:40am Arrival
- WN4861 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:30am Departure → San Antonio (SAT) 1:30pm Arrival
To Cancun (Saturdays, starting June 9, 2018):
- WN729 Houston (HOU) 11:00am Departure → Grand Cayman (GCM) 1:50pm Arrival
- WN1993 Grand Cayman (GCM) 2:45pm Departure → Houston (HOU) 5:45pm Arrival
- WN414 Pittsburgh (PIT) 7:30am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 10:05am Arrival
- WN415 Cancun (CUN) 10:30am Departure → Pittsburgh (PIT) 3:20pm Arrival
- WN1019 Raleigh-Durham (RDU) 7:30am Departure → Cancun (CUN) 9:35am Arrival
- WN1205 Cancun (CUN) 11:00am Departure → Raleigh-Durham (RDU) 3:10pm Arrival
To Nassau, Bahamas (starting Sunday, June 10, 2018):
- WN1867 Baltimore-Washington (BWI) 10:35am Departure → Nassau (NAS) 1:05pm Arrival
- WN1868 Nassau (NAS) 4:10pm Departure → Baltimore-Washington (BWI) 6:50pm Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Additional reporting by Jeffrey Preis. Featured image by valio84sl / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards