Watch A Man Sneak Onto Miami’s Airport Tarmac Through a Luggage Conveyor Belt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An alarming new video shows a man sneaking onto a luggage conveyor belt and eventually making his way to the tarmac at Miami International Airport (MIA). The video, released to the Miami Herald by an anonymous source shows a man pretending to talk on his cell phone while sneaking past an American Airlines check-in desk to then crawl into the space at the end of the conveyor belt.
Another clip then shows the suspect running away from what appears to be ground crew employees on the tarmac. After a few seconds of chase, the man is tackled to the ground by the workers. The third and final clip shows the suspect being pinned to the ground and arrested by airport police.
The incident occurred on Saturday November 4th around 11am, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade Police Department told TPG.
An airport’s tarmac is highly secure, and most airport employees can’t even access it. Each US airport has a TSA-approved Airport Security Program.
The source who released the video to the Herald said:
Had there been a plane at that gate, this individual could have entered the plane or had access to the aircraft. This is a very restricted area, only accessible to some with very limited access, and he was able to gain access. Very concerning.
Miami is a hub for American Airlines and the airline’s check-in desk is located in Terminal D. It’s common at airports for check-in desks to be empty once an airline’s operations have ceased for the day or when there is a lull.
American Airlines referred TPG to the Miami-Dade Police Department for details of the case, and told us:
We’d like to commend the quick actions of our colleagues in Miami who helped alleviate this security issue. You will need to contact law enforcement for additional details, as they are currently handling the investigation.
The Miami-Dade Police Department could not release any more information on the case, as the investigation is ongoing. The airport said US Customs and Border Protection is investigating the issue as well.
A spokesman for the airport told us that he was unsure whether there was of any sort of barrier blocking the end of the tunnel that the baggage goes through, which the man was able to use to sneak onto the tarmac.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees