Madonna Flies Commercial! (But at Least Not in Economy)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Celebrities … they’re just like you and me. Except they’re not. It’s not news when we fly commercially, but when Madonna steps on a plane and she’s surrounded by strangers instead of her entourage, people talk and gossip-tainment blogs light up. We at TPG aren’t that surprised — after all Brian himself has flown on the same flight as Madge on British Airways to London (LHR), although the accommodations were much nicer during that flight.
Several media outlets are claiming she flew economy on the flight from London (LON) to Lisbon (LIS), but in fact this is a business class seat — at least a European, short-haul business class, which is often not a separate cabin but simply the same seats as coach, with the middle one blocked.
The shape of the windows makes it evident that this is an Airbus A320 series jet — an A319, A320 or A321 — which is flown by both TAP Air Portugal and British Airways on London to Lisbon routes. Madonna is clearly sitting in a bulkhead seat, and there are no bulkheads in economy on either TAP or BA, so we are pretty sure Madonna was in seat 1F. That’s business class on either airline. From the sticker on the door in front of her, we can also surmise it was TAP: the letters “rir” and “en” can only be “Abrir / Open,” and abrir is Portuguese for open. A quick check of what the interior of Airbus single-aisle jets on TAP looks like confirms our hunch: the red contours on the headrests do not match BA short-haul cabins, but they do match TAP.
So at least we know that the Material Girl is not going coach class.
Regardless, it would definitely be weird to be sharing a plane with a superstar who has a reported net worth of $800 million. Travel + Leisure reported in September that Madonna bought a $9 million house in Lisbon and planned to make the city her official residence. But maybe next time she travels to Portugal she’ll do so in a private jet.
Feature image by Hulton Archive / Getty images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees