If I’m Living Overseas, Can I Apply for US Credit Cards?

Nov 3, 2017

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week — Mondays and Fridays — by TPG Senior Writer Julian Mark Kheel.

The United States is one of the largest credit card markets in the world, with roughly 7 out of every 10 Americans having at least one credit card. So if you’re living overseas, can you apply for US cards? That’s what TPG reader Ariel asked us in a Facebook message…

If I am living overseas but am a US citizen that still has a US address and a US bank account, can I still open up a rewards card?

TPG Reader Ariel

When you apply for a US credit card, the financial institution issuing the card is going to use your credit report as a major factor in determining whether to extend credit to you. So regardless of where you live, in almost all cases you’ll need to have an existing credit report at a US credit agency — the major ones are Experian, Equifax and TransUnion — to be eligible for a US credit card. And while there are a few exceptions, banks also usually ask for a US taxpayer ID number on the application, which for most people means your Social Security number.

If you’re wondering, yes, you can in fact have a US credit report but not a Social Security number, since credit agencies match credit info to reports based on multiple pieces of identifying information, including name, birthday and address. You may also be able to use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead, but not everyone can qualify for an ITIN and not all banks will accept them for credit applications. But if you have both a US credit report and Social Security number, you’re generally eligible to apply for US credit cards, regardless of where you’re living.

credit report- featured

However, there are a couple of caveats. First, if you’re a US expat applying from overseas, you’re going to need to maintain a US address and a US bank account like Ariel does. Most banks don’t allow you to use a foreign address to apply for credit cards online, and even if they do, it’s probably not the most secure way to have a credit card physically delivered to you. Then once you’ve actually got the card and have begun to use it, paying the bill from a non-US bank account can be problematic and expensive, especially since US credit cards must be paid using US-denominated funds.

Second, it’s possible you may not see the same online credit card offers as people physically located in the US. That’s because your computer or mobile device will be originating from a foreign IP address instead of a US-based one. You also may find your application subject to additional security scrutiny, as a bank will likely want to investigate why the applicant is overseas and whether there is potential fraud afoot. Be prepared to follow up with a phone call to the bank after any online applications from an overseas location.

Finally, if you apply for credit cards to use overseas, you want to make sure you can use them on a regular basis so that they don’t get closed for inactivity. That means not only being organized, but also choosing cards that aren’t going to charge foreign transaction fees since essentially everything you purchase where you’re living will be a foreign transaction.

But Ariel, while it might require you to jump through some hoops in order to get US credit cards while you’re overseas, it’s definitely possible and a great way to accumulate travel rewards in order to visit your friends and family here in the States every so often. Thanks for the question, and if you’re a TPG reader who’d like us to answer a question of your own, tweet us at @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at info@thepointsguy.com.

Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card

Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.

With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.

Apply Now
More Things to Know
  • Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
  • Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
  • Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
  • Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
  • Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
  • Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
  • Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
  • Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
  • Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees.
  • $250 Annual Fee.
  • Terms Apply.
  • See Rates & Fees
Regular APR
15.74%-24.74% Variable
Annual Fee
Balance Transfer Fee
Recommended Credit
Terms and restrictions apply. See rates & fees.

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.