This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After what was an especially hellacious 2017 in terms of natural disasters, many are breathing a sigh of relief now that hurricane season is over: November 30 marks the official end of the most damaging hurricane season in recorded history.
11 of this year’s 17 hurricanes made landfall — touching mainly the US and Caribbean. 2017 is only the second year that’s recorded two Category five hurricanes that made landfall. September was especially crazy and will go down as the most powerful month for hurricane intensity on record.
In just a few short months, storms like Harvey, Irma and Maria caused over $200 billion in damage and took the lives of hundreds. Harvey hit Texas and the Houston metro area hard, while Irma took a huge toll on the Caribbean and Maria ripped apart Puerto Rico’s infrastructure. The devastation in Puerto Rico was so bad the island is still largely without power and running water.
Tourism, the primary driver of many Caribbean nation’s economies, has also taken a particularly hard hit. The tiny island of Barbuda was completely evacuated and now has an official population of zero. Meanwhile, places like the British Virgin Islands and St. Martin are struggling to get their hotels — and airports — back to full capacity.
The affected areas have vowed to rebuild and to come back stronger than before, and massive efforts on part of the US government and nonprofits to aid in the process are underway.
Get the full report on how Caribbean tourism has bounced back so far.
Featured image by Jose Jimenez/Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards