The 2017 Hurricane Season Is Finally Over
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After what was an especially hellacious 2017 in terms of natural disasters, many are breathing a sigh of relief now that hurricane season is over: November 30 marks the official end of the most damaging hurricane season in recorded history.
11 of this year’s 17 hurricanes made landfall — touching mainly the US and Caribbean. 2017 is only the second year that’s recorded two Category five hurricanes that made landfall. September was especially crazy and will go down as the most powerful month for hurricane intensity on record.
In just a few short months, storms like Harvey, Irma and Maria caused over $200 billion in damage and took the lives of hundreds. Harvey hit Texas and the Houston metro area hard, while Irma took a huge toll on the Caribbean and Maria ripped apart Puerto Rico’s infrastructure. The devastation in Puerto Rico was so bad the island is still largely without power and running water.
Tourism, the primary driver of many Caribbean nation’s economies, has also taken a particularly hard hit. The tiny island of Barbuda was completely evacuated and now has an official population of zero. Meanwhile, places like the British Virgin Islands and St. Martin are struggling to get their hotels — and airports — back to full capacity.
The affected areas have vowed to rebuild and to come back stronger than before, and massive efforts on part of the US government and nonprofits to aid in the process are underway.
Get the full report on how Caribbean tourism has bounced back so far.
Featured image by Jose Jimenez/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.