How Hotels Go the Extra Mile: TPG Readers Share Their Stories
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everyone likes to be treated like royalty, especially when traveling. And while getting hooked up with a room upgrade or complimentary stocked mini bar is great, getting a pillow fort upon request is even better. We asked members of the TPG Lounge how hotels have really wowed them in the past, and here’s what they had to say:
Fortress of Solitude
Nate Lundquist casually — and somewhat jokingly, it seems — requested a pillow fort upon arrival at the Courtyard by Marriott in Gulf Shores, Ala. When he and his girlfriend arrived, they found the hotel had met their request and then some:
Sometimes you can be at the wrong place at the right time. Just ask Heather Fowler Murray, who had to forego a Napa vacation for a work conference in Florida. Luckily, one sommelier wasn’t going to let her go without wine:
When Matthew Piotrowski arrived at North Carolina’s Residence Inn by Marriott, he was met with a surprise: a picture of Bill Murray. Believe it or not, he had asked for it.
Elephants on Parade
When Elena McGill missed the daily elephant show at the JW Marriott in Thailand, the hotel hooked her up in a major way:
Make a Wish
The Ritz-Carlton Beijing Financial Street gave Al Petras a birthday celebration to remember:
How have hotels bended backwards for you? Share your best stories in the comments!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees