This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) were stunned to look out terminal windows and see fire spewing from a Hawaiian Airlines engine on Tuesday night. As a Hawaiian Airbus A330 on a ferry flight was on its final approach at SEA, it experienced an engine issue, with what appears to be engine no. 1, on the left side, catching fire.
Passengers inside the airport captured the incident on video:
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, Hawaiian Flight 875, a short ferry flight from Paine Field, Washington (PAE) to SEA, was carrying no passengers on board — only flight crew. According to Hawaiian, the aircraft’s fire extinguishing system and local fire officials were able to put out the fire.
Hawaiian said that the aircraft experienced a “left engine issue on final approach.” According to the airline, the two pilots who were on board were unharmed, and the aircraft is currently being inspected.
According to a SEA spokesperson, there were no alarms when the aircraft was in the air, and it’s believed to be that the problem was a compressor stall, a disruption of the flow of air into the engine that can have several causes. As reported by CBS News, the FAA says it will investigate.
In August, Japan Airlines Flight 6 experienced an engine fire on takeoff, and the 777-300ER aircraft dumped fuel before safely landing back at Tokyo’s Narita Airport (NRT).
Featured image by Hawaiian Airlines.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that