Hawaiian Airlines A330 Engine Fire in Seattle Caught on Video
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) were stunned to look out terminal windows and see fire spewing from a Hawaiian Airlines engine on Tuesday night. As a Hawaiian Airbus A330 on a ferry flight was on its final approach at SEA, it experienced an engine issue, with what appears to be engine no. 1, on the left side, catching fire.
Passengers inside the airport captured the incident on video:
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, Hawaiian Flight 875, a short ferry flight from Paine Field, Washington (PAE) to SEA, was carrying no passengers on board — only flight crew. According to Hawaiian, the aircraft’s fire extinguishing system and local fire officials were able to put out the fire.
Hawaiian said that the aircraft experienced a “left engine issue on final approach.” According to the airline, the two pilots who were on board were unharmed, and the aircraft is currently being inspected.
According to a SEA spokesperson, there were no alarms when the aircraft was in the air, and it’s believed to be that the problem was a compressor stall, a disruption of the flow of air into the engine that can have several causes. As reported by CBS News, the FAA says it will investigate.
In August, Japan Airlines Flight 6 experienced an engine fire on takeoff, and the 777-300ER aircraft dumped fuel before safely landing back at Tokyo’s Narita Airport (NRT).
Featured image by Hawaiian Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees