This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays is stressful. Getting from point A to point B can seem nearly impossible with large crowds, traffic jams and everything else in between. But Google Maps figured out a way to make your commute easier this Thanksgiving.
With a little digging (and measuring traffic conditions from 2016), Google Maps put together the best times to hit the road this holiday season, mapping out the perfect plan for your Thanksgiving road trip.
If you’re going to do a significant amount of driving around Turkey Day (say anywhere between November 22-26), it’s best to hit the road during off hours. While most people will be traveling in the daytime, you’ll find smoother sailing anywhere from 9pm – 4am.
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest (and worst days) to travel, especially in the late afternoon. Instead, leave early on Thanksgiving morning when traffic is much lighter.
When it’s time to head back home after the festivities, Google Maps says late afternoon traffic on Friday and Saturday following the holiday is the worst. Try to hold out until the weekend instead. It’s best to shoot for an early morning departure on either Saturday or Sunday when fewer people are likely to be on the road.
Google Maps has also managed to make those last-minute grocery trips (you know, like when you forget the cranberry) less stressful. You can search for local markets on Google Maps and find out the estimated wait times for check-out.
You can also keep your friends and family in the loop when it comes to your estimated arrival time by sharing your navigation. They can see where you are and more importantly what time the feast can be begin — and that’s something we can all be thankful about.
Feature photo by Melpomenem / Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees