How Google Maps is Making Thanksgiving Travel Less Stressful
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays is stressful. Getting from point A to point B can seem nearly impossible with large crowds, traffic jams and everything else in between. But Google Maps figured out a way to make your commute easier this Thanksgiving.
With a little digging (and measuring traffic conditions from 2016), Google Maps put together the best times to hit the road this holiday season, mapping out the perfect plan for your Thanksgiving road trip.
If you’re going to do a significant amount of driving around Turkey Day (say anywhere between November 22-26), it’s best to hit the road during off hours. While most people will be traveling in the daytime, you’ll find smoother sailing anywhere from 9pm – 4am.
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest (and worst days) to travel, especially in the late afternoon. Instead, leave early on Thanksgiving morning when traffic is much lighter.
When it’s time to head back home after the festivities, Google Maps says late afternoon traffic on Friday and Saturday following the holiday is the worst. Try to hold out until the weekend instead. It’s best to shoot for an early morning departure on either Saturday or Sunday when fewer people are likely to be on the road.
Google Maps has also managed to make those last-minute grocery trips (you know, like when you forget the cranberry) less stressful. You can search for local markets on Google Maps and find out the estimated wait times for check-out.
You can also keep your friends and family in the loop when it comes to your estimated arrival time by sharing your navigation. They can see where you are and more importantly what time the feast can be begin — and that’s something we can all be thankful about.
Feature photo by Melpomenem / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees