This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays is stressful. Getting from point A to point B can seem nearly impossible with large crowds, traffic jams and everything else in between. But Google Maps figured out a way to make your commute easier this Thanksgiving.
With a little digging (and measuring traffic conditions from 2016), Google Maps put together the best times to hit the road this holiday season, mapping out the perfect plan for your Thanksgiving road trip.
If you’re going to do a significant amount of driving around Turkey Day (say anywhere between November 22-26), it’s best to hit the road during off hours. While most people will be traveling in the daytime, you’ll find smoother sailing anywhere from 9pm – 4am.
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest (and worst days) to travel, especially in the late afternoon. Instead, leave early on Thanksgiving morning when traffic is much lighter.
When it’s time to head back home after the festivities, Google Maps says late afternoon traffic on Friday and Saturday following the holiday is the worst. Try to hold out until the weekend instead. It’s best to shoot for an early morning departure on either Saturday or Sunday when fewer people are likely to be on the road.
Google Maps has also managed to make those last-minute grocery trips (you know, like when you forget the cranberry) less stressful. You can search for local markets on Google Maps and find out the estimated wait times for check-out.
You can also keep your friends and family in the loop when it comes to your estimated arrival time by sharing your navigation. They can see where you are and more importantly what time the feast can be begin — and that’s something we can all be thankful about.
Feature photo by Melpomenem / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards