This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays is stressful. Getting from point A to point B can seem nearly impossible with large crowds, traffic jams and everything else in between. But Google Maps figured out a way to make your commute easier this Thanksgiving.
With a little digging (and measuring traffic conditions from 2016), Google Maps put together the best times to hit the road this holiday season, mapping out the perfect plan for your Thanksgiving road trip.
If you’re going to do a significant amount of driving around Turkey Day (say anywhere between November 22-26), it’s best to hit the road during off hours. While most people will be traveling in the daytime, you’ll find smoother sailing anywhere from 9pm – 4am.
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest (and worst days) to travel, especially in the late afternoon. Instead, leave early on Thanksgiving morning when traffic is much lighter.
When it’s time to head back home after the festivities, Google Maps says late afternoon traffic on Friday and Saturday following the holiday is the worst. Try to hold out until the weekend instead. It’s best to shoot for an early morning departure on either Saturday or Sunday when fewer people are likely to be on the road.
Google Maps has also managed to make those last-minute grocery trips (you know, like when you forget the cranberry) less stressful. You can search for local markets on Google Maps and find out the estimated wait times for check-out.
You can also keep your friends and family in the loop when it comes to your estimated arrival time by sharing your navigation. They can see where you are and more importantly what time the feast can be begin — and that’s something we can all be thankful about.
Feature photo by Melpomenem / Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees