Free Entry to National Parks Over Veterans Day Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With more than 400 parks, monuments, preserves, scenic trails and other sites in the US National Park system, there are plenty of choices if you’re looking for something to do over Veterans Day weekend. Not to mention, the price is right: On both November 11 and 12, the National Park Service (NPS) is offering free admission to all parks in its system, from Yellowstone to the Indiana Dunes.
These are the final two days this year that you’ll be able to get free access to all national parks. The NPS offered free admission for a total of 10 days in 2017, which ranged from Presidents Day in February to the National Park Service’s own birthday in August.
Keep in mind that in this case, “free” includes only entrance fees — other costs such as fees for camping, food, reservations and the like are not waived. Normal entrance fees can run from $3 all the way up to $30, though some sites are free year-round. A list of parks with waived fees can be found here.
Meanwhile, the National Park Service is considering a drastic increase in entrance fees in the near future. Its current proposal more than doubles the cost of entering some parks — from $30 per vehicle all the way up to $70 — for five months of the year. Included in the proposed increase are some of the country’s most popular parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
If it happens, the price increase could go into effect as early as January 1, 2018, so make sure you take advantage of the chance this weekend to visit America’s historic parks free of charge.
Featured image by Martina Sliger/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.