This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With more than 400 parks, monuments, preserves, scenic trails and other sites in the US National Park system, there are plenty of choices if you’re looking for something to do over Veterans Day weekend. Not to mention, the price is right: On both November 11 and 12, the National Park Service (NPS) is offering free admission to all parks in its system, from Yellowstone to the Indiana Dunes.
These are the final two days this year that you’ll be able to get free access to all national parks. The NPS offered free admission for a total of 10 days in 2017, which ranged from Presidents Day in February to the National Park Service’s own birthday in August.
Keep in mind that in this case, “free” includes only entrance fees — other costs such as fees for camping, food, reservations and the like are not waived. Normal entrance fees can run from $3 all the way up to $30, though some sites are free year-round. A list of parks with waived fees can be found here.
Meanwhile, the National Park Service is considering a drastic increase in entrance fees in the near future. Its current proposal more than doubles the cost of entering some parks — from $30 per vehicle all the way up to $70 — for five months of the year. Included in the proposed increase are some of the country’s most popular parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
If it happens, the price increase could go into effect as early as January 1, 2018, so make sure you take advantage of the chance this weekend to visit America’s historic parks free of charge.
Featured image by Martina Sliger/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees