Free Entry to National Parks Over Veterans Day Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With more than 400 parks, monuments, preserves, scenic trails and other sites in the US National Park system, there are plenty of choices if you’re looking for something to do over Veterans Day weekend. Not to mention, the price is right: On both November 11 and 12, the National Park Service (NPS) is offering free admission to all parks in its system, from Yellowstone to the Indiana Dunes.
These are the final two days this year that you’ll be able to get free access to all national parks. The NPS offered free admission for a total of 10 days in 2017, which ranged from Presidents Day in February to the National Park Service’s own birthday in August.
Keep in mind that in this case, “free” includes only entrance fees — other costs such as fees for camping, food, reservations and the like are not waived. Normal entrance fees can run from $3 all the way up to $30, though some sites are free year-round. A list of parks with waived fees can be found here.
Meanwhile, the National Park Service is considering a drastic increase in entrance fees in the near future. Its current proposal more than doubles the cost of entering some parks — from $30 per vehicle all the way up to $70 — for five months of the year. Included in the proposed increase are some of the country’s most popular parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
If it happens, the price increase could go into effect as early as January 1, 2018, so make sure you take advantage of the chance this weekend to visit America’s historic parks free of charge.
Featured image by Martina Sliger/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.