Free Entry to National Parks Over Veterans Day Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With more than 400 parks, monuments, preserves, scenic trails and other sites in the US National Park system, there are plenty of choices if you’re looking for something to do over Veterans Day weekend. Not to mention, the price is right: On both November 11 and 12, the National Park Service (NPS) is offering free admission to all parks in its system, from Yellowstone to the Indiana Dunes.
These are the final two days this year that you’ll be able to get free access to all national parks. The NPS offered free admission for a total of 10 days in 2017, which ranged from Presidents Day in February to the National Park Service’s own birthday in August.
Keep in mind that in this case, “free” includes only entrance fees — other costs such as fees for camping, food, reservations and the like are not waived. Normal entrance fees can run from $3 all the way up to $30, though some sites are free year-round. A list of parks with waived fees can be found here.
Meanwhile, the National Park Service is considering a drastic increase in entrance fees in the near future. Its current proposal more than doubles the cost of entering some parks — from $30 per vehicle all the way up to $70 — for five months of the year. Included in the proposed increase are some of the country’s most popular parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
If it happens, the price increase could go into effect as early as January 1, 2018, so make sure you take advantage of the chance this weekend to visit America’s historic parks free of charge.
Featured image by Martina Sliger/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees