Free Entry to National Parks Over Veterans Day Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With more than 400 parks, monuments, preserves, scenic trails and other sites in the US National Park system, there are plenty of choices if you’re looking for something to do over Veterans Day weekend. Not to mention, the price is right: On both November 11 and 12, the National Park Service (NPS) is offering free admission to all parks in its system, from Yellowstone to the Indiana Dunes.
These are the final two days this year that you’ll be able to get free access to all national parks. The NPS offered free admission for a total of 10 days in 2017, which ranged from Presidents Day in February to the National Park Service’s own birthday in August.
Keep in mind that in this case, “free” includes only entrance fees — other costs such as fees for camping, food, reservations and the like are not waived. Normal entrance fees can run from $3 all the way up to $30, though some sites are free year-round. A list of parks with waived fees can be found here.
Meanwhile, the National Park Service is considering a drastic increase in entrance fees in the near future. Its current proposal more than doubles the cost of entering some parks — from $30 per vehicle all the way up to $70 — for five months of the year. Included in the proposed increase are some of the country’s most popular parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
If it happens, the price increase could go into effect as early as January 1, 2018, so make sure you take advantage of the chance this weekend to visit America’s historic parks free of charge.
Featured image by Martina Sliger/Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees