Here Are the Flights Going in and Out of Bali
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The eruption of Mount Agung is wreaking havoc on the resort island of Bali, with as many as 100,000 people in an area that according to the Indonesian government should be evacuated because it is at high risk if the eruption worsens. Until Wednesday morning, Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) was closed but now flights are slowly starting to trickle back in and out.
It’s estimated that between 120,000 and 150,000 tourists are currently trapped on the island, and it’s possible that another, even larger, eruption is coming.
Airlines like Qantas and Jetstar are adding relief flights on top of their regularly scheduled service. Qantas even plans on sending an empty 747 to DPS so it can get as many people to safety as possible.
We’ve checked flight tracking website FlightRadar24.com to see what’s coming in and out of DPS and it appears that not all regularly scheduled flights are back in action.
In this screenshot you can see that only six planes were either departing or heading towards Bali at 12:06am Bali time (11:06am EST). Only three carriers, China Eastern, Lion Air and Singapore Airlines, were operating at the time of the screenshot.
China Eastern Flight 5029 was inbound from Shanghai (PVG) and scheduled to land at 12:23 local time. An A330-300 is operated on the regularly scheduled service,
You can actually see that the flight was diverted to Singapore (SIN) on November 26 because of the volcanic activity.
Singapore Airlines flight 939 from Denpasar to Singapore departed at 11:30PM Bali time and was about an hour and 20 minutes away from landing.
Singapore Airlines and SilkAir said that flights to and from Bali will operate as scheduled on November 30. Virgin Australia said it will operate recovery flights once conditions are safe enough to do so. It’s unclear when AirAsia, Garuda Indonesia and Batik Air flights would return. Flight Global reports that it could take up to a week to move the stranded travelers on the island. And an air evacuation could quickly turn into a far more massive operation if the eruption worsens and authorities have to relocate Bali’s inhabitants, as well as its visitors, out of harm’s way.
Featured image by Mahendra Moonstar/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees