El Al Details Dreamliner Plans, With a Focus on New York Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is the latest and greatest in El Al’s fleet of aircraft. Currently, the airline has two Dreamliners in its fleet, which it flies daily between Tel Aviv (TLV) and Newark (EWR), and TLV and London (LHR). Now, with plans to take delivery of 14 more by 2020, the Israeli carrier has announced the routes on which the new 787s will operate next year.
As reported by Dan’s Deals, El Al will launch 787 service to Hong Kong (HKG) and New York (JFK) in 2018. The carrier will begin 787 service to HKG as of March 18, 2018, with 5x weekly service. As of March 29, that route will be upgraded to 6x weekly service. Previously, El Al operated a 777 on the HKG-TLV route.
In addition, as of March 25, El Al will increase its existing EWR-TLV nonstop Dreamliner route from 6x weekly service to 11x weekly service.
Plus, in another New York addition, El Al will begin adding 787s to its nonstop between TLV and New York-JFK. Currently, El Al has three daily nonstop flights between JFK and TLV. As of June 29, El Al will begin operating one of those three daily nonstops with a Dreamliner, and on September 16, a second will begin 787 operation. The third will continue to be operated by a 747. The two daily nonstops that the Dreamliners are replacing are currently operated by 777s.
The decision to add more Dreamliner service to New York — both EWR and JFK — is an interesting move from El Al. Rather than operating one of its other US routes with a Dreamliner, El Al is clearly focusing on the Big Apple. El Al also operated between TLV and the US cities of Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX).
The carrier plans to receive five new 787s in its fleet next year. In the interim,to have enough of the aircraft to meet its needs, El Al will end Dreamliner service to London as of March 18.
El Al’s Dreamliner is worlds apart from any other aircraft the carrier has in its fleet — especially in the premium cabin. In the business-class cabin, you can expect to find all-aisle access in a 1-2-1 configuration, lie-flat seats and tasty meal options. With such a focus on its New York offerings, it’ll be interesting to see where El Al takes the Dreamliner next. The carrier just resumed MIA service earlier this month, operated by one of its outdated 777 aircraft. Eventually, with more Dreamliner deliveries, El Al will phase out its older 777 and 747 aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.