Eiffel Tower Ticket Prices Just Jumped Almost 50 Percent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a tourist in Paris, the Eiffel Tower is almost certainly near the top of your list of must-see attractions in the City of Lights. Unfortunately, that visit just got significantly more expensive. As of November 1, the cost of a ticket to go to the top of the tallest freestanding structure in France increased by nearly 50% from €17 (~US$20) to €25 (~US$29).
Even if you don’t go all the way up, prices to get halfway have also jumped by similar amounts. An elevator trip to the second floor is now €16 (~US$19) instead of €11 (~US$13). And you can’t even avoid the increase by taking the stairs — walking to the second floor now costs €10 (~US$12), up from €7 (~US$8).
The price hikes are slated to fund ongoing renovations at the Iron Lady, along with improvements in security around the highly popular tourist destination. A metal fence currently surrounds the tower, but plans call for it to be replaced by a bulletproof glass wall at a cost of €20 million. However, that’s just a small portion of the €300 million slated to be spent on Eiffel Tower renovations over the next 15 years, which will include making waiting lines more efficient, modernizing the second floor along with some of the lifts, painting and cleaning.
In September, Paris was chosen as the site for the 2024 Summer Olympics — a decision that likely has the city looking to put its best foot forward for the major sporting event. Turns out visitors might be the ones to bear the cost of sprucing up the city’s most iconic structure.
Tourists can take solace in the fact that even with the new increases, the cost of visiting the Eiffel Tower remains substantially lower than a trip to the tallest buildings in the US. A standard ticket to the One World Observatory at the top of One World Trade Center in New York runs $34, while getting to the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building will set you back a whopping $56.
Featured image by PobladuraFCG/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees