This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has said its final goodbyes to the the 747, and soon it will be Delta’s turn to retire the Queen of the Skies. The airline has already announced the routes it will fly for the aircraft’s last commercial service, and now the airline has shared the dates and routes for a domestic “farewell tour” of its own that will visit the airline’s major hubs in the US. Currently, Delta is flying its last 747-400 between its hub in Detroit (DTW) and Seoul (ICN) and will operate its last regularly scheduled 747 flight on December 17. As a reminder, here’s the schedule of the final two commercial flights:
December 15: DL159 Detroit (DTW) 12:31pm Departure → Seoul (ICN) 4:30pm (+1) Arrival
December 17: DL158 Seoul (ICN) 11:15am Departure → Detroit (DTW) 10:14am Arrival
After DL158 lands in Detroit, Delta will begin a special employee farewell tour that will take the Queen all around the country. The 747 will start in DTW and make it’s way to Seattle (SEA) on December 18. The next day it will travel from SEA to Atlanta (ATL) and then on December 20 from ATL to Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP).
As part of the tour, Delta employees and retirees can purchase seats on the final flights at a discounted rate with the proceeds going to charity. But if you’re just an AvGeek and want to be on one of these special flights, you can use your SkyMiles to bid for a seat and a celebration after the flight. SkyMiles members can also bid on a hangar tour with the 747 at DTW that will precede the historic journey.
After the festivities are over Delta will use the aircraft for charter flights through December 31. The 747-400 will be ferried to an Arizona boneyard in early January where it will sit in purgatory waiting to be purchased or stripped for parts.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. Earn one mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees