Deal Alert: US Cities to Los Angeles From $80 Round-Trip ($96 Main Cabin)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’re willing to fly in basic economy, American and United are offering pretty great fares from multiple US cities to Los Angeles (LAX). United’s offering low fares from a number of cities, such as Houston (IAH), Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW) and Cleveland (CLE), and American’s offering similar fares from Dallas (DFW). JetBlue has two notable regular economy fares from Boston (BOS) and Orlando (MCO).
Keep in mind that most of these (with the exception of JetBlue) are basic economy fares. If you’re willing to spend a bit more, you can secure a Main Cabin ticket, which will allow you more flexibility in your travel without the chance of getting nickel-and-dimed. Certain credit cards, such as the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and the United Club Card can help you defeat the extra fees that come with booking a basic economy ticket.
Routes: BOS/CLE/DFW/IAH/MCO/ORD to LAX
Cost: $80+ Basic Economy / $96 Main Cabin round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017 — February 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Houston (IAH) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $80 Basic Economy / $120 Main Cabin round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $82 Basic Economy / $122 Main Cabin round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $83 Basic Economy / $123 Main Cabin round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $92 Basic Economy / $96 Main Cabin round-trip
Orlando (MCO) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $94 round-trip:
Cleveland (CLE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $98 Basic Economy / $198 Main Cabin round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $196 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by choness / Getty Images.
H/T: Dan’s Deals
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees