Deal Alert: West Coast to New Zealand From $716 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you got in on the Air New Zealand error fare to Australia back in September only to see it cancelled a few days later, here’s another way to get down to the Australasia region without breaking the bank. Hawaiian Air is currently offering great prices on trips to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) from multiple cities on the West Coast, including San Francisco (SFO), Phoenix (PHX), Seattle (SEA), Las Vegas (LAS) and Los Angeles (LAX) starting as low as $716 round-trip in economy.
What’s really interesting about this fare is that it can be booked as two separate one-ways, and sometimes by doing so, the price gets even cheaper. So if you wanted to book with cash in one direction and use points or miles for an award redemption in the other direction, this is a great chance to do it.
You’ll find most of these airfares from November through September 2018, and you don’t need any tricks to get these prices. So just use Google Flights to pick the dates you want — again, make sure you search for the legs as one-ways to see if the price is lower that way — then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with Hawaiian itself.
Airline: Hawaiian Airlines
Routes: SFO/SEA/PDX/LAX/LAS to AKL
Cost: $716+ round-trip in economy
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $716 round-trip via Orbitz:
Phoenix (PHX) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $455 one-way via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by AsianDream/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.