Deal Alert: West Coast to New Zealand From $716 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you got in on the Air New Zealand error fare to Australia back in September only to see it cancelled a few days later, here’s another way to get down to the Australasia region without breaking the bank. Hawaiian Air is currently offering great prices on trips to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) from multiple cities on the West Coast, including San Francisco (SFO), Phoenix (PHX), Seattle (SEA), Las Vegas (LAS) and Los Angeles (LAX) starting as low as $716 round-trip in economy.
What’s really interesting about this fare is that it can be booked as two separate one-ways, and sometimes by doing so, the price gets even cheaper. So if you wanted to book with cash in one direction and use points or miles for an award redemption in the other direction, this is a great chance to do it.
You’ll find most of these airfares from November through September 2018, and you don’t need any tricks to get these prices. So just use Google Flights to pick the dates you want — again, make sure you search for the legs as one-ways to see if the price is lower that way — then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with Hawaiian itself.
Airline: Hawaiian Airlines
Routes: SFO/SEA/PDX/LAX/LAS to AKL
Cost: $716+ round-trip in economy
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $716 round-trip via Orbitz:
Phoenix (PHX) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $791 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) for $455 one-way via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by AsianDream/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees