This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Per Scott’s Cheap Flights, there’s a huge sale from all over the US to many European cities. Scott found a whopping 81 US airports with round-trip prices under $500. We looked into some options and found flights starting as cheap as $404 round-trip.
Feel free to check the examples below, but you might just want to head straight to Google Flights and use the Google Flights Explore Map to find the cheapest destinations from your airport. Then click through to Orbitz, Expedia or the airline directly to book your tickets.
Airlines: American/British Airways/Delta/Finnair/Iberia/KLM/United
Routes: ORD/SFO/LAX/JFK/FLL/SEA/MIA/RDU (and many more) to CDG/ORY/AMS/FCO (and many more)
Cost: $404+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017 — May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $404 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $405 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $431 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $431 round-trip:
New York’s JFK to Paris (PAR) for $442 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Paris (CDG) for $447 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Rome (FCO) for $451 round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) for $456 round-trip:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Rome (FCO) for $456 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by Victor Walsh Photography/Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees