This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific offers a excellent in-flight product — in first class, business, premium economy and even coach — but there’s one area where the carrier’s sorely lacking: connectivity. With many of the airline’s flights running 10 hours or longer, that’s simply unacceptable.
While Cathay does offer Wi-Fi on its brand-new Airbus A350s, there are fewer than 20 of those planes flying today, and the connectivity’s provided by Panasonic, which means it’s probably not very reliable or fast. Well, there’s some good news on this front — in the middle of 2018, the airline will begin installing Gogo’s much speedier 2Ku service on the rest of its long-haul fleet, including Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s. This is the same Wi-Fi that’s now available on Delta’s new A350s.
In a press release, Cathay Pacific Chief Customer and Commercial Officer Paul Loo said “We envisage that by 2020, all of our wide-body aircraft will have inflight connectivity capabilities. This will open up a wealth of opportunities for us to provide more innovative experiences for our customers.”
While 2020 may seem far off at this point, this is great news — I’m especially relieved to see that the airline’s joining forces with Gogo on this venture, too, given my generally positive experiences with 2Ku. The service will be making its way to Cathay Dragon‘s wide-body fleet as well.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees