This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific offers a excellent in-flight product — in first class, business, premium economy and even coach — but there’s one area where the carrier’s sorely lacking: connectivity. With many of the airline’s flights running 10 hours or longer, that’s simply unacceptable.
While Cathay does offer Wi-Fi on its brand-new Airbus A350s, there are fewer than 20 of those planes flying today, and the connectivity’s provided by Panasonic, which means it’s probably not very reliable or fast. Well, there’s some good news on this front — in the middle of 2018, the airline will begin installing Gogo’s much speedier 2Ku service on the rest of its long-haul fleet, including Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s. This is the same Wi-Fi that’s now available on Delta’s new A350s.
In a press release, Cathay Pacific Chief Customer and Commercial Officer Paul Loo said “We envisage that by 2020, all of our wide-body aircraft will have inflight connectivity capabilities. This will open up a wealth of opportunities for us to provide more innovative experiences for our customers.”
While 2020 may seem far off at this point, this is great news — I’m especially relieved to see that the airline’s joining forces with Gogo on this venture, too, given my generally positive experiences with 2Ku. The service will be making its way to Cathay Dragon‘s wide-body fleet as well.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards