Cathay Pacific Finally Adding Speedy Wi-Fi to Entire Wide-Body Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific offers a excellent in-flight product — in first class, business, premium economy and even coach — but there’s one area where the carrier’s sorely lacking: connectivity. With many of the airline’s flights running 10 hours or longer, that’s simply unacceptable.
While Cathay does offer Wi-Fi on its brand-new Airbus A350s, there are fewer than 20 of those planes flying today, and the connectivity’s provided by Panasonic, which means it’s probably not very reliable or fast. Well, there’s some good news on this front — in the middle of 2018, the airline will begin installing Gogo’s much speedier 2Ku service on the rest of its long-haul fleet, including Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s. This is the same Wi-Fi that’s now available on Delta’s new A350s.
In a press release, Cathay Pacific Chief Customer and Commercial Officer Paul Loo said “We envisage that by 2020, all of our wide-body aircraft will have inflight connectivity capabilities. This will open up a wealth of opportunities for us to provide more innovative experiences for our customers.”
While 2020 may seem far off at this point, this is great news — I’m especially relieved to see that the airline’s joining forces with Gogo on this venture, too, given my generally positive experiences with 2Ku. The service will be making its way to Cathay Dragon‘s wide-body fleet as well.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.