This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes bigger isn’t always better. Just ask the Airbus A380.
According to the Independent, the first double-deck Superjumbo plane (which can seat up to 800 passengers, but most are arranged to accommodate less than that) now resides in an airport parking lot patiently waiting to fly.
The aircraft, which started service back in 2007 with Singapore Airlines, needs a new partner to get back up and running again.
The A380 has had trouble attracting customers in the past due to a delayed “entry into service,” among other reasons. As a result, airlines (think: Virgin Atlantic) have canceled orders. Also, most airlines are rarely able to fill a plane that size to the max, tapping out at just 500 passengers. There remains, however, one customer that wants to continue the A380 boom — Emirates.
Other, competing aircrafts, including the twin-engine Airbus A350 have become increasingly more desirable among airlines like Ethiopian Airlines and Qatar Airways — it’s more efficient with less capacity.
MRO Network states if the owner of an aircraft cannot find a new operator, it will “consider dismantling the aircraft for parts.”
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards