The World’s First “Superjumbo” Passenger Plane Gets Grounded
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes bigger isn’t always better. Just ask the Airbus A380.
According to the Independent, the first double-deck Superjumbo plane (which can seat up to 800 passengers, but most are arranged to accommodate less than that) now resides in an airport parking lot patiently waiting to fly.
The aircraft, which started service back in 2007 with Singapore Airlines, needs a new partner to get back up and running again.
The A380 has had trouble attracting customers in the past due to a delayed “entry into service,” among other reasons. As a result, airlines (think: Virgin Atlantic) have canceled orders. Also, most airlines are rarely able to fill a plane that size to the max, tapping out at just 500 passengers. There remains, however, one customer that wants to continue the A380 boom — Emirates.
Other, competing aircrafts, including the twin-engine Airbus A350 have become increasingly more desirable among airlines like Ethiopian Airlines and Qatar Airways — it’s more efficient with less capacity.
MRO Network states if the owner of an aircraft cannot find a new operator, it will “consider dismantling the aircraft for parts.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.