This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes bigger isn’t always better. Just ask the Airbus A380.
According to the Independent, the first double-deck Superjumbo plane (which can seat up to 800 passengers, but most are arranged to accommodate less than that) now resides in an airport parking lot patiently waiting to fly.
The aircraft, which started service back in 2007 with Singapore Airlines, needs a new partner to get back up and running again.
The A380 has had trouble attracting customers in the past due to a delayed “entry into service,” among other reasons. As a result, airlines (think: Virgin Atlantic) have canceled orders. Also, most airlines are rarely able to fill a plane that size to the max, tapping out at just 500 passengers. There remains, however, one customer that wants to continue the A380 boom — Emirates.
Other, competing aircrafts, including the twin-engine Airbus A350 have become increasingly more desirable among airlines like Ethiopian Airlines and Qatar Airways — it’s more efficient with less capacity.
MRO Network states if the owner of an aircraft cannot find a new operator, it will “consider dismantling the aircraft for parts.”
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees