This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Now through 11:59pm Pacific Time Monday, Air New Zealand is running an excellent Cyber Monday sale, offering $400 off economy and premium economy flights and $1,000 off business-class flights. Some of the deals we’re seeing include flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to the Cook Islands (RAR) for only $496 round-trip — quite the steal, as this route is usually twice that price or more! Hawaii-based travelers can get all the way to Auckland (AKL) for the same $496 round-trip. Air New Zealand’s fifth-freedom route from Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) is also on sale and priced at just $493 round-trip.
Although not as spectacular as the deal we saw this morning, there are also round-trips from the US mainland to New Zealand for under $800 round-trip or Australia for under $900 round-trip.
Availability depends on the route, but some discounts range from December 1, 2017 to October 31, 2018. Google Flights isn’t loading the best rates for all routes, so this deal is one in which you may want to check directly with the airline itself. Although, some deals are bookable through Orbitz and Expedia.
Airlines: Air New Zealand
Routes: LAX/HNL/SFO/IAH to RAR/LHR/AKL
Cost: $493+ round-trip in economy
Dates: December 2017 to October 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for $493 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Rarotonga, Cook Islands (RAR) for $496 round-trip nonstop:
Honolulu (HNL) to Auckland (AKL) for $496 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) for $795 round-trip nonstop:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) for $796 round-trip nonstop:
Houston (IAH) to Auckland (AKL) for $894 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
Featured image by @PATRICKBRITT via Twenty20
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees