Up to 62.5% Net Bonus When Transferring Hotel Points to Aeroplan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Formerly Air Canada’s in-house mileage program, Aeroplan is known for some excellent award options. Now, you can rack up Aeroplan miles by transferring hotel points with a 30% bonus between now and December 11, 2017. And while prior transfer bonuses have been tiered, this 30% bonus only requires you to convert 5,000 Aeroplan miles. Even better, you can transfer small balances from a variety of different hotel programs to meet this 5,000 threshold.
While not all hotel programs are participating in the promotion, you’ll notice that there’s still an extensive list of partners that you can transfer from, including Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer. And unfortunately, Marriott Hotel + Air Packages are also excluded.
Aeroplan provides opportunities for great redemptions and you’re able to redeem your points to cover taxes and surcharges — although this isn’t the best use of miles. Transferring points from SPG presents a unique opportunity, since you can earn the standard 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred. With the 30% bonus, you’ll get 32,500 Aeroplan miles for every 20,000 Starpoints converted – effectively a 62.5% bonus.
Here’s what that means for some of Aeroplan’s top redemptions:
- 44,000 Starpoints => 70,200 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Europe in Lufthansa first class
- 48,000 Starpoints => 75,400 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to the Indian subcontinent, East, West & South Africa or Asia 1 (China, Eastern Russia, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan) on Turkish business
- 66,000 Starpoints => 105,300 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Asia in Asiana first
This is a tempting transfer bonus for those who like to use Aeroplan miles for top redemption options. Combining the 5,000 mile bonus from Starwood with this 30% transfer bonus leads to an excellent 62.5% combined bonus for transferring Starpoints to Aeroplan. And while transferring Marriott points to Aeroplan during these transfer bonuses has made sense in the past, it’s no longer a good deal since this transfer bonus excludes Hotel + Air Packages.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee