This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Formerly Air Canada’s in-house mileage program, Aeroplan is known for some excellent award options. Now, you can rack up Aeroplan miles by transferring hotel points with a 30% bonus between now and December 11, 2017. And while prior transfer bonuses have been tiered, this 30% bonus only requires you to convert 5,000 Aeroplan miles. Even better, you can transfer small balances from a variety of different hotel programs to meet this 5,000 threshold.
While not all hotel programs are participating in the promotion, you’ll notice that there’s still an extensive list of partners that you can transfer from, including Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer. And unfortunately, Marriott Hotel + Air Packages are also excluded.
Aeroplan provides opportunities for great redemptions and you’re able to redeem your points to cover taxes and surcharges — although this isn’t the best use of miles. Transferring points from SPG presents a unique opportunity, since you can earn the standard 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred. With the 30% bonus, you’ll get 32,500 Aeroplan miles for every 20,000 Starpoints converted – effectively a 62.5% bonus.
Here’s what that means for some of Aeroplan’s top redemptions:
- 44,000 Starpoints => 70,200 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Europe in Lufthansa first class
- 48,000 Starpoints => 75,400 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to the Indian subcontinent, East, West & South Africa or Asia 1 (China, Eastern Russia, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan) on Turkish business
- 66,000 Starpoints => 105,300 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Asia in Asiana first
This is a tempting transfer bonus for those who like to use Aeroplan miles for top redemption options. Combining the 5,000 mile bonus from Starwood with this 30% transfer bonus leads to an excellent 62.5% combined bonus for transferring Starpoints to Aeroplan. And while transferring Marriott points to Aeroplan during these transfer bonuses has made sense in the past, it’s no longer a good deal since this transfer bonus excludes Hotel + Air Packages.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards