This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Formerly Air Canada’s in-house mileage program, Aeroplan is known for some excellent award options. Now, you can rack up Aeroplan miles by transferring hotel points with a 30% bonus between now and December 11, 2017. And while prior transfer bonuses have been tiered, this 30% bonus only requires you to convert 5,000 Aeroplan miles. Even better, you can transfer small balances from a variety of different hotel programs to meet this 5,000 threshold.
While not all hotel programs are participating in the promotion, you’ll notice that there’s still an extensive list of partners that you can transfer from, including Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer. And unfortunately, Marriott Hotel + Air Packages are also excluded.
Aeroplan provides opportunities for great redemptions and you’re able to redeem your points to cover taxes and surcharges — although this isn’t the best use of miles. Transferring points from SPG presents a unique opportunity, since you can earn the standard 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred. With the 30% bonus, you’ll get 32,500 Aeroplan miles for every 20,000 Starpoints converted – effectively a 62.5% bonus.
Here’s what that means for some of Aeroplan’s top redemptions:
- 44,000 Starpoints => 70,200 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Europe in Lufthansa first class
- 48,000 Starpoints => 75,400 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to the Indian subcontinent, East, West & South Africa or Asia 1 (China, Eastern Russia, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan) on Turkish business
- 66,000 Starpoints => 105,300 Aeroplan miles, enough for one-way to Asia in Asiana first
This is a tempting transfer bonus for those who like to use Aeroplan miles for top redemption options. Combining the 5,000 mile bonus from Starwood with this 30% transfer bonus leads to an excellent 62.5% combined bonus for transferring Starpoints to Aeroplan. And while transferring Marriott points to Aeroplan during these transfer bonuses has made sense in the past, it’s no longer a good deal since this transfer bonus excludes Hotel + Air Packages.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees