This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US-based airlines love their baggage fees — they’ve racked up over $4 billion per year from these alone. But, effective today, one US airline is taking some weight off your shoulders (both literally and financially) by eliminating one of its checked baggage fees.
For tickets purchased after 12:00am Central Time on November 13, American Airlines is dropping the $100 second checked bag fee for certain premium economy tickets. Specifically, this is for tickets “between Europe and U.S. [excluding Hawaii], Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and South America (excluding Brazil).” For US-based travelers, this means premium economy flights between the US and Europe will now get two free checked bags.
For some reason, this was the only international region pairing where American Airlines was still charging for a second checked bag on a premium economy ticket. With this change, all international premium economy tickets will feature two free checked bags.
However, premium economy tickets “within and between U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands” will be assessed a $35 checked bag fee for the second checked bag. Based on the premium economy routes announced so far, this is effectively just for premium economy flights between the US mainland and Hawaii.
Checked bag fees for the third bag on premium economy tickets still run between $85 (to/from Brazil) and $200 (most intercontinental flights). Here’s the full list of American Airlines baggage fees.
The airline has clarified that this policy only affects tickets purchased today (November 13) and won’t be applied to other tickets retroactively. An airline spokesperson confirms “this means that on the same flight we may see customers who receive one free checked bag or two free checked bags, depending on when they purchased their ticket.”
Featured image by BrianAJackson/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*