A Look at the World’s Largest Cruise Ship, Debuting in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas has just been replaced as the world’s largest cruise ship by … Royal Caribbean. The newest member of its International Oasis class of ships, Symphony of the Seas, just got one step closer to its April 2018 debut.
The new ship weighs in at 230,000 gross tons — nearly 3,000 more tons than its predecessor — and measures nearly 1,200 feet in length and 215 feet wide. The ship will have 2,759 staterooms that will house 6,870 guests and crew and 18 total decks.
The best and newest addition to Symphony is the addition of the Ultimate Family Suite. The interactive space will span two levels and will feature a slide from the kid’s-only bedroom to the living room below. There will also be a floor-to-ceiling LEGO wall, an air-hockey table and a few hidden nooks if you need some quiet time. The list goes on: a 3-D movie theater complete with popcorn machine and video games, a 212-square-foot wraparound balcony with a pool table, a climbing experience and a full-size whirlpool.
In addition to its “world’s largest” title, the architectural marvel will have more balcony staterooms than ever before. The Symphony will introduce the newest features in its famed Boardwalk and Central Park neighborhoods. The Boardwalk will have interactive experiences and plenty of entertainment for all ages, including the addition of Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade: the place to watch the big game — whichever big game is happening from around the world. The sports bar will span the length of the boardwalk and house 30 big screen television sets. Adjacent to the Boardwalk will be Sugar Beach, an ice cream and candy shop likely to be the sweetest spot on the open seas.
Another new feature of Symphony will be how guests check in. Cruisers will be able to use the new mobile app and upload their security “selfie” to create their onboard account from home. Additionally, guests will also have access to VOOM, the fastest internet at sea, state-of-the-art wayfinding and virtual balconies.
As for in-ship entertainment, Hairspray will be back by popular demand and a new, original Royal Caribbean show, Flight, a historical satire on the evolution of air travel, will also be performed on the ship.
Symphony will kick off its summer season in the Mediterranean in April, but will be permanently sailing out of Miami beginning November of 2018. Once stationed in Miami, the ship will sail its seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean voyages.
Images courtesy of Royal Caribbean
Have you ever been on one of Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis fleet? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.