Watch a Seal Disrupt Operations at Alaskan Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Points Guy has shared all kinds of wild aviation videos, but never have we ever seen low “seal”ings have such an impact on air travel. An Alaska Airlines flight departing Barrow, Alaska (BRW) on this week was delayed for an obstacle on the runway. Turns out that this obstacle was an immobile seal.
You can watch the dramatic video here:
OK, maybe that wasn’t so dramatic. But, what happened off-camera seems like it wasn’t as tame. According to a first-hand report to View From The Wing, here’s how airport officials had to clear the seal off the runway
It didn’t wanna leave. Kept biting at the running board on the truck I was in. Trying to get it off runway so [Alaska Airlines] could leave.
I poked it a few times with a big wrench and it loved that.
Got it into the safety area and the local Polar Bear control guys came over with a snowmachine and sled and rodeo’d it away.
Problem solved. Back to blowing snow.
Too bad that wasn’t caught on film!
Barrow airport doesn’t see a ton of traffic, with around eight flights per day. Most of these are tiny aircraft, with just 1-2 larger Alaska flights per day. That said, Alaska wildlife probably keeps things interesting.
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.