This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Points Guy has shared all kinds of wild aviation videos, but never have we ever seen low “seal”ings have such an impact on air travel. An Alaska Airlines flight departing Barrow, Alaska (BRW) on this week was delayed for an obstacle on the runway. Turns out that this obstacle was an immobile seal.
You can watch the dramatic video here:
OK, maybe that wasn’t so dramatic. But, what happened off-camera seems like it wasn’t as tame. According to a first-hand report to View From The Wing, here’s how airport officials had to clear the seal off the runway
It didn’t wanna leave. Kept biting at the running board on the truck I was in. Trying to get it off runway so [Alaska Airlines] could leave.
I poked it a few times with a big wrench and it loved that.
Got it into the safety area and the local Polar Bear control guys came over with a snowmachine and sled and rodeo’d it away.
Problem solved. Back to blowing snow.
Too bad that wasn’t caught on film!
Barrow airport doesn’t see a ton of traffic, with around eight flights per day. Most of these are tiny aircraft, with just 1-2 larger Alaska flights per day. That said, Alaska wildlife probably keeps things interesting.
H/T: View From The Wing
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees