This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Points Guy has shared all kinds of wild aviation videos, but never have we ever seen low “seal”ings have such an impact on air travel. An Alaska Airlines flight departing Barrow, Alaska (BRW) on this week was delayed for an obstacle on the runway. Turns out that this obstacle was an immobile seal.
You can watch the dramatic video here:
OK, maybe that wasn’t so dramatic. But, what happened off-camera seems like it wasn’t as tame. According to a first-hand report to View From The Wing, here’s how airport officials had to clear the seal off the runway
It didn’t wanna leave. Kept biting at the running board on the truck I was in. Trying to get it off runway so [Alaska Airlines] could leave.
I poked it a few times with a big wrench and it loved that.
Got it into the safety area and the local Polar Bear control guys came over with a snowmachine and sled and rodeo’d it away.
Problem solved. Back to blowing snow.
Too bad that wasn’t caught on film!
Barrow airport doesn’t see a ton of traffic, with around eight flights per day. Most of these are tiny aircraft, with just 1-2 larger Alaska flights per day. That said, Alaska wildlife probably keeps things interesting.
H/T: View From The Wing
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards