This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Points Guy has shared all kinds of wild aviation videos, but never have we ever seen low “seal”ings have such an impact on air travel. An Alaska Airlines flight departing Barrow, Alaska (BRW) on this week was delayed for an obstacle on the runway. Turns out that this obstacle was an immobile seal.
You can watch the dramatic video here:
OK, maybe that wasn’t so dramatic. But, what happened off-camera seems like it wasn’t as tame. According to a first-hand report to View From The Wing, here’s how airport officials had to clear the seal off the runway
It didn’t wanna leave. Kept biting at the running board on the truck I was in. Trying to get it off runway so [Alaska Airlines] could leave.
I poked it a few times with a big wrench and it loved that.
Got it into the safety area and the local Polar Bear control guys came over with a snowmachine and sled and rodeo’d it away.
Problem solved. Back to blowing snow.
Too bad that wasn’t caught on film!
Barrow airport doesn’t see a ton of traffic, with around eight flights per day. Most of these are tiny aircraft, with just 1-2 larger Alaska flights per day. That said, Alaska wildlife probably keeps things interesting.
H/T: View From The Wing
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees