Uber Adds Rider-Friendly Multiple Stop Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The changes continue to roll in for ride-sharing service Uber. Earlier this week, the company made some driver-friendly changes resulting in potentially more fees for riders. Now, the company announced it’s making a much-desired change to benefit riders — the option to make multiple stops on a trip.
On Thursday, Uber announced that passengers will now be allowed to make up to three stops along your trip. Riders can manually add or remove stops to or from your itinerary from the Uber app. Stops can be added either when you’re requesting a ride or while you’re in the middle of a ride.
To add a stop, go to the “Where to?” field and select the “+” icon. Enter your stop information and the app will calculate the best route, as well as the fare. If you need to make changes to your itinerary, you can do so in real time. The driver’s app will show a change in directions, so there’s no need to inform the driver of your routing change.
If you’re planning on making use of the multi-stop feature, be prepared to pay a bit more. Because Uber calculates its fares based on time and distance, and since stops will take up more time, expect to have a higher fare. In addition, the fare you get is calculated for a stop to take three minutes or less. If your stop takes more than three minutes, Uber says that your fare may change.
As of Friday morning, this multi-stop feature is available in most Uber cities. If you’re splitting a fare, you can do so even with multi-stop itineraries. However, you can’t split the fare by the cost of each stop — just by the total of the entire ride.
Overall, this is surely a welcome change for Uber passengers. Previously, multi-stop routing had to be communicated to the driver by the passenger, but now, it’s a much more seamless — and digitalized — experience. With this new feature, Uber joins the like of its direct competitor, Lyft, which already offers riders a multi-stop feature since 2016.
If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up now to get a $20 credit from TPG. With the Platinum Card from American Express, you can also get $200 in credits per year for Uber rides. In addition, on Wednesday, Uber and Barclaycard announced a new no-fee credit card, the Uber Visa Card. With it, you’ll earn 4% back on restaurants, takeout and bars, including UberEats, 3% back on airfare, hotel and vacation home rentals, 2% back on online purchases including Uber, online shopping and video and music streaming services and 1% back on all other purchases.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees