Free Flight Changes for NYC, D.C., Boston, Philly and More Sunday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Exactly five years after Sandy made landfall in the Northeast, the area is bracing for another tropical system to wreak havoc on travel. Sustained winds of 15-25 mph aren’t expected to do much damage, but gusts up to 50 mph are likely to impact air traffic, leading to lengthy delays and cancellations.
So far, just two airlines have issued travel waivers for the area for flights Sunday. These waivers allow travelers free changes and sometimes free cancellations. If you’re flying in or out of a covered area, you may be able to rebook travel for free, including rerouting through a different connecting airport and/or changing the dates of travel.
Here are the airports that are included in at least one of the waivers so far:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the travel waivers covering travel this Sunday:
- Travel dates: October 29
- Airports affected: Albany, New York (ALB); Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE); Baltimore, Maryland (BWI); Boston, Massachusetts (BOS); Burlington, Vermont (BTV); Hartford, Connecticut (BDL); Islip, New York (ISP); Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT); New Haven, Connecticut (HVN); New York Kennedy, New York (JFK); New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA); Newark, New Jersey (EWR); Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PHL); Portland, Maine (PWM); Providence, Rhode Island (PVD); Salisbury / Ocean City, Maryland (SBY); Washington Dulles, Washington D.C. (IAD); Washington Reagan, Washington D.C. (DCA); White Plains / Westchester County, New York (HPN)
- Must have purchased your ticket by October 26
- Rebook travel anytime between October 27-November 1
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: October 29
- Airports covered: Boston, MA (BOS); New York, NY – Kennedy (JFK); New York, NY – LaGuardia (LGA); Newark, NJ (EWR); Newburgh, NY (SWF); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Ticket must be reissued by November 1
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than November 1
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond November 1, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply.
- Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel date: October 29
- Airports covered: Baltimore, MD (BWI); Boston, MA (BOS); Hartford, CT (BDL); New York/Newark, NJ (EWR); New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); Providence, RI (PVD); Washington, DC – Dulles (IAD); Washington-National, DC (DCA); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before November 1, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
As the time of publication, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit and Virgin America have not issued change fee waivers.
Update 10/27/17 11:25am: This post has been updated with the addition of Delta’s waiver.
Featured image by Jan-Stefan Knick/EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees