This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is in the news a lot recently, from launching the first passenger 737 MAX flights in the US to announcing upcoming service to Hawaii. It’s back in the news on Thursday for another positive story: its first all-female crewed 737 MAX 8 flight.
On October 8, Southwest flight 4664 from Saint Louis (STL) to San Francisco (SFO) was piloted and crewed by six women. While this is likely not the first all-female crewed Southwest flight, the airline can be sure that it’s the first time on its 737 MAX 8, which had entered service just eight days prior.
The airline took to Twitter Wednesday to show off its all-female flight:
Among the overwhelming positive feedback the airline received, our favorite is Twitter user Adrian’s. He how inspirational it is for his daughters to see women in charge:
In a statement to The Points Guy, Southwest said this:
Diversity and inclusion has always been important to the Heart of Southwest. We champion an inclusive culture that values the unique perspectives of all, so we are thrilled that the captain of this Southwest 737 MAX 8 flight recognized the significance of the moment and captured it to share with the world!
We applaud Southwest for marking this occasion. But we also look forward to when an all-female crew is so commonplace that it’s no longer newsworthy. If you want to help make this a reality, look into your local Women in Aviation chapter and/or get involved in next year’s Girls in Aviation Day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards