This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is in the news a lot recently, from launching the first passenger 737 MAX flights in the US to announcing upcoming service to Hawaii. It’s back in the news on Thursday for another positive story: its first all-female crewed 737 MAX 8 flight.
On October 8, Southwest flight 4664 from Saint Louis (STL) to San Francisco (SFO) was piloted and crewed by six women. While this is likely not the first all-female crewed Southwest flight, the airline can be sure that it’s the first time on its 737 MAX 8, which had entered service just eight days prior.
The airline took to Twitter Wednesday to show off its all-female flight:
Among the overwhelming positive feedback the airline received, our favorite is Twitter user Adrian’s. He how inspirational it is for his daughters to see women in charge:
In a statement to The Points Guy, Southwest said this:
Diversity and inclusion has always been important to the Heart of Southwest. We champion an inclusive culture that values the unique perspectives of all, so we are thrilled that the captain of this Southwest 737 MAX 8 flight recognized the significance of the moment and captured it to share with the world!
We applaud Southwest for marking this occasion. But we also look forward to when an all-female crew is so commonplace that it’s no longer newsworthy. If you want to help make this a reality, look into your local Women in Aviation chapter and/or get involved in next year’s Girls in Aviation Day.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees