This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is in the news a lot recently, from launching the first passenger 737 MAX flights in the US to announcing upcoming service to Hawaii. It’s back in the news on Thursday for another positive story: its first all-female crewed 737 MAX 8 flight.
On October 8, Southwest flight 4664 from Saint Louis (STL) to San Francisco (SFO) was piloted and crewed by six women. While this is likely not the first all-female crewed Southwest flight, the airline can be sure that it’s the first time on its 737 MAX 8, which had entered service just eight days prior.
The airline took to Twitter Wednesday to show off its all-female flight:
Among the overwhelming positive feedback the airline received, our favorite is Twitter user Adrian’s. He how inspirational it is for his daughters to see women in charge:
In a statement to The Points Guy, Southwest said this:
Diversity and inclusion has always been important to the Heart of Southwest. We champion an inclusive culture that values the unique perspectives of all, so we are thrilled that the captain of this Southwest 737 MAX 8 flight recognized the significance of the moment and captured it to share with the world!
We applaud Southwest for marking this occasion. But we also look forward to when an all-female crew is so commonplace that it’s no longer newsworthy. If you want to help make this a reality, look into your local Women in Aviation chapter and/or get involved in next year’s Girls in Aviation Day.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees