Southwest Says Aloha to Hawaii, TPG Readers Bid Farewell to United’s 747, Fires Devastate Northern California and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
The announcement that many had been waiting years for finally came this week: Southwest plans to launch flights between the continental US and Hawaii.
Last week, several TPG staffers and 100 readers and their friends had the chance to attend United’s Family Day in San Francisco (SFO). This event was extra special, since the airline had two of its soon-to-be-retired-747s on display for all to explore.
Multiple fires ripped their way across several North Bay counties in California this week, leaving utter devastation in their paths. Hundreds of homes and businesses were destroyed in the early hours of Monday morning, forcing thousands of people in the area to evacuate.
Earlier this week, Turkey halted the issuance of new visas for US citizens — effectively, if you don’t already have a Turkish visa, including an e-Visa, you can no longer enter the country as a US citizen. However, there’s no impact to transit passengers, and there’s no immediate need to change an itinerary that doesn’t include a stopover in Turkey.
Perhaps the best-ever targeted offer for Southwest’s tremendously valuable Companion Pass just popped up this week for California residents: Sign up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card and make one purchase to get a Companion Pass through December 31, 2018.
Last Thursday, TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig traveled to Puerto Rico to cover relief flights and JetBlue’s operations at San Juan’s Luis Muñoz Marín Airport (SJU). While the airport is back up and running, with dozens of daily flights, Puerto Rico clearly felt like an island still reeling from a record-breaking hurricane and crumbling infrastructure.
As of Thursday, Delta’s iOS app supports automatic flight check-in — if your flight appears in the latest version of the Delta app, a boarding pass will automatically pop up 24 hours before departure.
United will soon begin retrofitting its older 777s, installing the new 1-2-1 Polaris business-class seats and adding an extra seat in each row in economy, just as United’s done with its domestic configuration. While the change up front is going to be more than welcome, you’re going to want to stay away from coach in these aircraft if at all possible.
In other news…
Transfer Hotel Points to United and Receive a 30% Bonus
Between now and November 30, 2017, you can receive a 30% bonus on points transferred to United MileagePlus from any of its hotel partners. Note that you can only earn up to 25,000 miles with this promotion.
Alaska Adds Option to Pre-Order Meals in First Class
Alaska Airlines has added the option to pre-select meals in first class on select flights, up to two weeks before departure. The feature is expected to roll out to more routes in the coming months.
Featured image by JTB Photo / Contributor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees