Highest Level of Rome’s Colosseum Will Open to Public for the First Time in 40 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction in Rome today. Each year, six million visitors travel to see the largest amphitheater ever built. However, for several decades the uppermost levels of the ancient arena have been closed off to the public — until now. Starting November 1, visitors can enjoy the views from the top of the Colosseum by way of the fourth and fifth levels for the first time in 40 years, according to The Telegraph.
Back nearly 2,000 years ago, emperors, senators, and other noble parties filled the bottom level of the amphitheater’s bottom level were they viewed sports and entertainment events, followed by the middle class spectators who sat behind them in the second level. At the very top of the famous landmark, plebeians sat at the fifth and fourth levels. Although they were far from the gladiator pit, those who sat at the top level had the best view of the nearby Forum, Arch of Constantine and the Palatine Hill, where emperors built their palaces. Soon, tourists will share the expansive view of the stadium and the nearby landmarks, nearly 120 feet above ground.
Rome’s culture minister, Dario Franceschini, said in a statement: “It’s not been possible to visit this part of the Colosseum for 40 years. This restores another part of the monument to the public and provides incredible views of not only the Colosseum but also Rome.”
The price of visiting the new levels will be an additional €9 ($10.50) in addition to the regular entrance fee of €12 ($14) and is only possible in small, pre-reserved groups of 25 people.
H/T The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Alberto Pizzoli/Getty Images
Will you head to the Colosseum’s upper levels? Let us know in the comments below
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.