This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction in Rome today. Each year, six million visitors travel to see the largest amphitheater ever built. However, for several decades the uppermost levels of the ancient arena have been closed off to the public — until now. Starting November 1, visitors can enjoy the views from the top of the Colosseum by way of the fourth and fifth levels for the first time in 40 years, according to The Telegraph.
Back nearly 2,000 years ago, emperors, senators, and other noble parties filled the bottom level of the amphitheater’s bottom level were they viewed sports and entertainment events, followed by the middle class spectators who sat behind them in the second level. At the very top of the famous landmark, plebeians sat at the fifth and fourth levels. Although they were far from the gladiator pit, those who sat at the top level had the best view of the nearby Forum, Arch of Constantine and the Palatine Hill, where emperors built their palaces. Soon, tourists will share the expansive view of the stadium and the nearby landmarks, nearly 120 feet above ground.
Rome’s culture minister, Dario Franceschini, said in a statement: “It’s not been possible to visit this part of the Colosseum for 40 years. This restores another part of the monument to the public and provides incredible views of not only the Colosseum but also Rome.”
The price of visiting the new levels will be an additional €9 ($10.50) in addition to the regular entrance fee of €12 ($14) and is only possible in small, pre-reserved groups of 25 people.
H/T The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Alberto Pizzoli/Getty Images
Will you head to the Colosseum’s upper levels? Let us know in the comments below
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees