This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction in Rome today. Each year, six million visitors travel to see the largest amphitheater ever built. However, for several decades the uppermost levels of the ancient arena have been closed off to the public — until now. Starting November 1, visitors can enjoy the views from the top of the Colosseum by way of the fourth and fifth levels for the first time in 40 years, according to The Telegraph.
Back nearly 2,000 years ago, emperors, senators, and other noble parties filled the bottom level of the amphitheater’s bottom level were they viewed sports and entertainment events, followed by the middle class spectators who sat behind them in the second level. At the very top of the famous landmark, plebeians sat at the fifth and fourth levels. Although they were far from the gladiator pit, those who sat at the top level had the best view of the nearby Forum, Arch of Constantine and the Palatine Hill, where emperors built their palaces. Soon, tourists will share the expansive view of the stadium and the nearby landmarks, nearly 120 feet above ground.
Rome’s culture minister, Dario Franceschini, said in a statement: “It’s not been possible to visit this part of the Colosseum for 40 years. This restores another part of the monument to the public and provides incredible views of not only the Colosseum but also Rome.”
The price of visiting the new levels will be an additional €9 ($10.50) in addition to the regular entrance fee of €12 ($14) and is only possible in small, pre-reserved groups of 25 people.
H/T The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Alberto Pizzoli/Getty Images
Will you head to the Colosseum’s upper levels? Let us know in the comments below
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that