This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas Airways has been on a roll recently.The Australia-based carrier announced last week that it will add an additional service from Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) with its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Following the new aircraft reveal, the airline announced today that it will cover the cost of new passport for US travelers.
According to the US Department of State, as of 2016, only 40% of Americans hold a current passport or passport card. Stephen Thompson, Qantas’ Senior Executive Vice President, said the airline wants to make it easier for American travelers to visit Australia by essentially discounting $135, or the cost of a US passport, off their ticket price to Australia.
“Australia is in the top five destinations Americans would consider traveling to in the next four years, yet more than half the population do not hold a valid passport,” Thompson said. “As Australia’s national carrier we are proud and excited to share all that Australia has to offer. It’s an exciting time for Qantas as we picked up our first 787-9 Dreamliner in Seattle this week [and] US travelers will be among the first to enjoy the game-changing aircraft when it commences its Los Angeles to Melbourne service in December.”
From October 19 through November 28, 2017, travelers can redeem the discount for all ticket classes on flights originating in the US to Australia by visiting qantas.com and entering the promo code PASSPORT.
Featured image by Gallo Images; video courtesy of Qantas
Will you use the discount to travel to the land Down Under? Let us know in the comments below.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees