Qantas Offers Americans a Free Passport to Visit Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas Airways has been on a roll recently.The Australia-based carrier announced last week that it will add an additional service from Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) with its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Following the new aircraft reveal, the airline announced today that it will cover the cost of new passport for US travelers.
According to the US Department of State, as of 2016, only 40% of Americans hold a current passport or passport card. Stephen Thompson, Qantas’ Senior Executive Vice President, said the airline wants to make it easier for American travelers to visit Australia by essentially discounting $135, or the cost of a US passport, off their ticket price to Australia.
“Australia is in the top five destinations Americans would consider traveling to in the next four years, yet more than half the population do not hold a valid passport,” Thompson said. “As Australia’s national carrier we are proud and excited to share all that Australia has to offer. It’s an exciting time for Qantas as we picked up our first 787-9 Dreamliner in Seattle this week [and] US travelers will be among the first to enjoy the game-changing aircraft when it commences its Los Angeles to Melbourne service in December.”
From October 19 through November 28, 2017, travelers can redeem the discount for all ticket classes on flights originating in the US to Australia by visiting qantas.com and entering the promo code PASSPORT.
Featured image by Gallo Images; video courtesy of Qantas
Will you use the discount to travel to the land Down Under? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees