Qantas Offers Americans a Free Passport to Visit Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas Airways has been on a roll recently.The Australia-based carrier announced last week that it will add an additional service from Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) with its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Following the new aircraft reveal, the airline announced today that it will cover the cost of new passport for US travelers.
According to the US Department of State, as of 2016, only 40% of Americans hold a current passport or passport card. Stephen Thompson, Qantas’ Senior Executive Vice President, said the airline wants to make it easier for American travelers to visit Australia by essentially discounting $135, or the cost of a US passport, off their ticket price to Australia.
“Australia is in the top five destinations Americans would consider traveling to in the next four years, yet more than half the population do not hold a valid passport,” Thompson said. “As Australia’s national carrier we are proud and excited to share all that Australia has to offer. It’s an exciting time for Qantas as we picked up our first 787-9 Dreamliner in Seattle this week [and] US travelers will be among the first to enjoy the game-changing aircraft when it commences its Los Angeles to Melbourne service in December.”
From October 19 through November 28, 2017, travelers can redeem the discount for all ticket classes on flights originating in the US to Australia by visiting qantas.com and entering the promo code PASSPORT.
Featured image by Gallo Images; video courtesy of Qantas
Will you use the discount to travel to the land Down Under? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.