This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas Airways has been on a roll recently.The Australia-based carrier announced last week that it will add an additional service from Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) with its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Following the new aircraft reveal, the airline announced today that it will cover the cost of new passport for US travelers.
According to the US Department of State, as of 2016, only 40% of Americans hold a current passport or passport card. Stephen Thompson, Qantas’ Senior Executive Vice President, said the airline wants to make it easier for American travelers to visit Australia by essentially discounting $135, or the cost of a US passport, off their ticket price to Australia.
“Australia is in the top five destinations Americans would consider traveling to in the next four years, yet more than half the population do not hold a valid passport,” Thompson said. “As Australia’s national carrier we are proud and excited to share all that Australia has to offer. It’s an exciting time for Qantas as we picked up our first 787-9 Dreamliner in Seattle this week [and] US travelers will be among the first to enjoy the game-changing aircraft when it commences its Los Angeles to Melbourne service in December.”
From October 19 through November 28, 2017, travelers can redeem the discount for all ticket classes on flights originating in the US to Australia by visiting qantas.com and entering the promo code PASSPORT.
Featured image by Gallo Images; video courtesy of Qantas
Will you use the discount to travel to the land Down Under? Let us know in the comments below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees