Only Hawaii and West Coast Airports Represent US in OAG’s On-Time Top Tier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to flying, one of the biggest influencing factors on the overall experience is if your flight was on time. If you’re planning a tight connection, for example, you’ll want to avoid Newark International Airport (EWR), as it’s notorious for traffic delays on the tarmac. And if you think EWR is bad, OAG’s latest report for on-time performance is out, and many of America’s airports fall well behind their international counterparts.
According to the organization’s latest on-time performance (OTP) report, only five of the 49 airports around the world with OAG five-star ratings are in the US. The five US airports, as you’ll see, are almost entirely from non-continental locales:
- #3: Hilo, Hawaii (ITO) — 91.3 annual OTP
- #9 (tie): Lihue, Hawaii (LIH) — 89.5 annual OTP
- #24 (3-way tie): Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL) — 87.3 annual OTP
- #36 (tie): Anchorage, Alaska (ANC) — 86.4 annual OTP
- #47 (4-way tie): Salt Lake City (SLC) — 85.2 annual OTP
Domestic US airports had such a bad showing in this year’s performance ratings that two US airports even landed one-star ratings: the aforementioned Newark (68.7 annual OTP) and Nantucket (ACK; 66.9 annual OTP). In between the best and the worst fell the US’ other largest airports. Notably, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL), the world’s busiest, received a 4-star rating with an 82.9 annual OTP rating.
The country with the most airports with five-star ratings might surprise you, given its relatively small size and dense population: Japan. It had a total of nine airports receiving five-star ratings. One of those nine happened to be one the capital city’s airports: Tokyo Haneda (HND). Not far behind Japan, Brazil had the second-most airports with five-star ratings with a total of eight airports, including Vitoria (VIT).
At the bottom for on-time performance, China, India and the Philippines each had eight airports with one-star ratings.
OAG’s twice-annual on-time performance report analyzes data for both airlines and airports to establish who’s the best and who’s the worst when it comes to getting passengers where they need to go on time. The organization measures on-time performance for airports as departures and arrivals that take place strictly less than 15 minutes after the scheduled departure or arrival time. OAG bases its rankings on 12 months’ rolling performance data. In order to be considered for OAG’s report, an airport must have a minimum of 2.5 million departed seats in the year, with an minimum of 600 operations per month.
Just because your home airport ranked well — or ranked horribly — on OAG’s recent list doesn’t mean your flight is guaranteed to be delayed. But the next time you’re sitting on the tarmac and waiting to take off from EWR, know that it’s not totally out of the norm.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees