Snapchat’s New Feature Lets You Read Reviews, Book Reservations and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Snapchat launched its new location-based feature called Context Cards: a new way to learn more about the Snaps within the app. By swiping up, users can see more — and do more.
Snapchat partnered with TripAdvisor, Foursquare, Michelin, Goop, OpenTable, Uber, Lyft, Resy and Bookatable — with more partners presumably coming — to help bring its users useful information. As of October 10, Snapchatters can view whatever info they may need to hail a ride or book a table at a restaurant that appears on Snapchat videos. Meaning, the next time your friend posts a pic or video at a a five-star restaurant or trendy bar, effectively sharing their location, you can access the review — and maybe snag a table, too — in real-time by swiping up.
Here’s how it works: When users share their location in a Snap, either by using a geotagged filter or sharing to a public story, not only can they see where their friends are hanging out, but they can swipe up and read more — like ratings, reviews, menus and hours of operation.
It’s clearly a win for businesses — and it’s just a matter of time before Snapchat better targets their ads — but for now, the context cards are simply meant to provide additional info.
“In partnership with Snapchat for their new Context Cards feature, we’re excited to be offering a new way for Snapchatters to book any of our restaurants that they see in Snaps,” said Catherine Porter, OpenTable’s Senior Vice President of Strategy and Business Development. “We know the simple act of swiping up on a Snap to reserve a table will provide an experience that our diners and restaurants will love.”
The new feature rolls out Tuesday, October 10 on both iOS and Android in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Check out how to you use SnapChat Context Card feature in the video below:
Featured Image by studioEAST/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees