Tropical Storm Nate Forecast to Hit New Orleans as Hurricane On Sunday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thursday morning, the National Hurricane Center named the 14th tropical storm of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Tropical Storm Nate. And there’s near certainty that Nate will be yet another tropical system that makes landfall on the US this hurricane season.
Currently over northeast Nicaragua, Tropical Storm Nate is expected to emerge over the Caribbean Sea late Thursday and continue to organize before striking the Yucatan Peninsula Friday night at nearly hurricane strength. Tropical storm warnings and hurricane watches have been issued for Yucatan ahead of its pending landfall.
But, it’s when Tropical Storm Nate hits the warm Gulf of Mexico that the US Gulf Coast needs to worry about. Current forecasts call for Tropical Storm Nate to develop into a hurricane and strike New Orleans early Sunday morning.
Considering the incredible northward movement of the storm just before hitting the coast, there will likely be significant differences between the east side of the storm and the west side. The forward movement will intensify the effects of the circulation to the east, causing stronger winds and higher storm surge.
The good news is that forecasts predict Nate will be only a Category 1 Hurricane at the time of landfall, with top sustained winds of 80 mph. Combining that with the rapid forward movement, thankfully the storm will not have a chance to dump rain over a prolonged period of time, as Hurricane Harvey did in Texas.
That said, the longer Nate stays over the warm waters of the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico, the more it’s going to strengthen. So, just a slight eastward shift could keep it off of the Yucatan Peninsula and lead to a stronger storm.
For now, Gulf Coast residents shouldn’t freak out. The National Hurricane Center’s advice is that “residents along the Gulf Coast from Louisiana through the Florida Panhandle should monitor the progress of Nate and heed any advice given by local officials.”
Featured image by NOAA showing the “Most Likely Arrival Time of Tropical Storm-Force Winds”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees