Lufthansa Is Reportedly Set to Buy Parts of Air Berlin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin will cease to exist on October 28. Germany’s second-largest airline filed for insolvency in August, and since then, no single party has come forward to take over all of the carrier. Now, Lufthansa is reportedly going to buy part of it.
According to Reuters, Lufthansa is set to buy Air Berlin’s Niki leisure unit as well as its LG Walter regional airline. In addition, Lufthansa is set to buy some of Air Berlin’s short-haul aircraft. While no contract has been signed yet, a source familiar with the matter said that the two have come to an agreement, however Lufthansa declined to comment on whether it’s come to an agreement with Air Berlin.
Air Berlin’s operations at its hubs in Berlin (TXL) and Dusseldorf (DUS) will also be up for other carriers to take over.
At the same time, there have been other reports that EasyJet will buy between 27 and 30 of Air Berlin’s former aircraft. However, this week word spread that those plans could fall through.
Air Berlin isn’t the only carrier having financial issues. This summer, Alitalia entered administration and Monarch Airlines collapsed without much warning, leaving more than 100,000 passengers stranded.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.