Lufthansa Is Reportedly Set to Buy Parts of Air Berlin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin will cease to exist on October 28. Germany’s second-largest airline filed for insolvency in August, and since then, no single party has come forward to take over all of the carrier. Now, Lufthansa is reportedly going to buy part of it.
According to Reuters, Lufthansa is set to buy Air Berlin’s Niki leisure unit as well as its LG Walter regional airline. In addition, Lufthansa is set to buy some of Air Berlin’s short-haul aircraft. While no contract has been signed yet, a source familiar with the matter said that the two have come to an agreement, however Lufthansa declined to comment on whether it’s come to an agreement with Air Berlin.
Air Berlin’s operations at its hubs in Berlin (TXL) and Dusseldorf (DUS) will also be up for other carriers to take over.
At the same time, there have been other reports that EasyJet will buy between 27 and 30 of Air Berlin’s former aircraft. However, this week word spread that those plans could fall through.
Air Berlin isn’t the only carrier having financial issues. This summer, Alitalia entered administration and Monarch Airlines collapsed without much warning, leaving more than 100,000 passengers stranded.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees