This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin will cease to exist on October 28. Germany’s second-largest airline filed for insolvency in August, and since then, no single party has come forward to take over all of the carrier. Now, Lufthansa is reportedly going to buy part of it.
According to Reuters, Lufthansa is set to buy Air Berlin’s Niki leisure unit as well as its LG Walter regional airline. In addition, Lufthansa is set to buy some of Air Berlin’s short-haul aircraft. While no contract has been signed yet, a source familiar with the matter said that the two have come to an agreement, however Lufthansa declined to comment on whether it’s come to an agreement with Air Berlin.
Air Berlin’s operations at its hubs in Berlin (TXL) and Dusseldorf (DUS) will also be up for other carriers to take over.
At the same time, there have been other reports that EasyJet will buy between 27 and 30 of Air Berlin’s former aircraft. However, this week word spread that those plans could fall through.
Air Berlin isn’t the only carrier having financial issues. This summer, Alitalia entered administration and Monarch Airlines collapsed without much warning, leaving more than 100,000 passengers stranded.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards