Last Chance: Amex Starwood Business Sign-Up Bonus Worth $945
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you’ve been putting off the application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, you’re almost out of time. In order to get the special 35,000 sign-up bonus, you must apply for the card by Wednesday, November 1.
Here’s how the limited-time offer is structured: You’ll earn 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $6,000 on the card in the first three months from account opening. To maximize the bonus, you’ll need to spend another $4,000 in the first six months to earn an additional 10,000 Starpoints. That means you’ll need to spend $10,000 for 35,000 points total.
In a time when 50,000-point sign-up bonuses seem to be the new minimum, 35,000 points may sound a little low, especially for $10,000 in spending. But at 2.7 cents per point, Starpoints are the most valuable currency on TPG’s points/miles valuation list. That means the 35,000-point sign-up bonus is worth around $945.
Thanks to the 1:3 transfer ratio between Starwood and Marriott, you can also think of this sign-up bonus as 105,000 Marriott points — which puts you even closer to those super valuable Hotel + Air packages that get you a 7-night hotel stay plus airline miles.
While the $10,000 combined spending requirement is steep, this card offers a solid return on non-bonus spending. Based on TPG valuations, only the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express offers a better return on general spending. Even if you spend all $10,000 on non-bonus spending, you’ll end up with more than a 12% return: 45,000 points (worth $1,215) from $10,000 spending.
Card Features and Benefits
This card earns you two Starpoints per dollar at Starwood (and now Marriott) properties and one point per dollar everywhere else. There’s a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year, plus no foreign transaction fees. Also, this card offers Sheraton Club access with eligible rates and discounts with FedEx, Hertz and more through the Amex OPEN Savings program.
Not to mention the boost toward Starwood Preferred Guest elite status. The card offers two- stay credits and five night credits each year toward status, and if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you’ll be upgraded to Starwood Preferred Guest gold status. If you do earn SPG status, make sure to match it to Marriott Rewards to enjoy perks across both programs.
Featured image by the JW Marriott Cancun.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.