This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This has the potential to be a game-changer for legacy airlines in the US. As of Thursday, Delta’s iOS app supports automatic flight check-in — if your flight appears in the latest version of the Delta app, a boarding pass will automatically pop up 24 hours before departure.
It doesn’t look like the Android app has been updated to support this functionality yet, but assuming it’s a hit on iOS, I’m sure it’ll make its way to Google’s mobile platform, too.
Delta isn’t the only carrier to offer this feature — Lufthansa offers automated check-in as well, but only for flights within the Schengen area in Europe. With Lufthansa, your boarding pass will be sent via email or text message approximately 23 hours before departure. Additionally, JetBlue tested an auto check-in feature for select Even More Space customers in 2014, but has since discontinued the program.
I booked a flight for Friday morning to test out Delta’s new feature. Unfortunately a boarding pass wasn’t issued immediately, perhaps because the check-in period had already opened. It’s not yet clear which itineraries and routes are supported, or whether the same functionality will be available through Delta’s website, but we’ve reached out to the airline for more details.
Have you used Delta’s new auto check-in feature?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards