Use Avios to Save on British Airways Tickets With This Improved Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are some great uses for British Airways Avios (BA’s mileage currency) when it comes to partner reward flights. I’ve used 4,500 Avios to hop between Hong Kong (HKG) and Taipei (TPE) on Cathay Pacific, and got over 12 cents per Avios in value on Iberia premium economy. Recently, a TPG reader got almost nine cents per Avios in value on American Airlines flights. And TPG’s Richard Kerr has scored over 10 cents of value for flights in the Caribbean.
However, when it comes to flights on British Airways itself, Avios aren’t as valuable due to high fuel surcharges on BA flights. But there’s a little-known Part Payment program that allows Avios holders to save on British Airways paid flights. This means you’ll earn American Airlines elite-qualifying and award miles, British Airways Tier Points and Avios, or earnings on another program while redeeming points for the flight.
While this program has been devalued over the years, British Airways is back with a new temporary offer that’s worth a look if you are planning to book British Airways flights soon.
Now through October 17, you can book British Airways flights for travel between the US and the UK between November 1 and February 28, 2018 and save up to 1.16 cents per Avios toward paid long-haul British Airways flights. As is the new normal for this program, you’ll actually get less value out of your Avios the more Avios you elect to use.
While this is a bummer for making a significant dent in the cost of your flight, it’s a great way to clear out a smaller Avios account balance.
There are two separate promotional charts. This is how much you’ll save when applying Avios to an economy “World Traveller” flight:
|Avios||Savings||Value per Avios|
And for “World Traveller Plus” premium economy flights:
|Avios||Savings||Value per Avios|
In order to take advantage of this offer, you need to log into your British Airways Executive Club account and search for flights. The part payment option will show up on the payment page. Applying Avios to the purchase is treated like a payment form; you’ll still earn points/miles and have the same cancellation/change policies of the paid flight.
Remember to take advantage of the British Airways/AARP discount as well if you qualify. For round-trip flights starting in the US, you’ll save $65 off economy and $130 off premium economy flights.
Featured image by Scott Barbour / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.