Use Avios to Save on British Airways Tickets With This Improved Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are some great uses for British Airways Avios (BA’s mileage currency) when it comes to partner reward flights. I’ve used 4,500 Avios to hop between Hong Kong (HKG) and Taipei (TPE) on Cathay Pacific, and got over 12 cents per Avios in value on Iberia premium economy. Recently, a TPG reader got almost nine cents per Avios in value on American Airlines flights. And TPG’s Richard Kerr has scored over 10 cents of value for flights in the Caribbean.
However, when it comes to flights on British Airways itself, Avios aren’t as valuable due to high fuel surcharges on BA flights. But there’s a little-known Part Payment program that allows Avios holders to save on British Airways paid flights. This means you’ll earn American Airlines elite-qualifying and award miles, British Airways Tier Points and Avios, or earnings on another program while redeeming points for the flight.
While this program has been devalued over the years, British Airways is back with a new temporary offer that’s worth a look if you are planning to book British Airways flights soon.
Now through October 17, you can book British Airways flights for travel between the US and the UK between November 1 and February 28, 2018 and save up to 1.16 cents per Avios toward paid long-haul British Airways flights. As is the new normal for this program, you’ll actually get less value out of your Avios the more Avios you elect to use.
While this is a bummer for making a significant dent in the cost of your flight, it’s a great way to clear out a smaller Avios account balance.
There are two separate promotional charts. This is how much you’ll save when applying Avios to an economy “World Traveller” flight:
|Avios||Savings||Value per Avios|
And for “World Traveller Plus” premium economy flights:
|Avios||Savings||Value per Avios|
In order to take advantage of this offer, you need to log into your British Airways Executive Club account and search for flights. The part payment option will show up on the payment page. Applying Avios to the purchase is treated like a payment form; you’ll still earn points/miles and have the same cancellation/change policies of the paid flight.
Remember to take advantage of the British Airways/AARP discount as well if you qualify. For round-trip flights starting in the US, you’ll save $65 off economy and $130 off premium economy flights.
Featured image by Scott Barbour / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees