This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex Offers are opt-in, limited-time deals for American Express cardholders, like 10,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $500 with AmexTravel.com, $160 cashback for spending $800+ on Delta and more.
Today, a valuable new Amex Offer just posted to certain American Express credit card accounts: 5,000 Membership Rewards points for using your Amex card to pay for an Amazon Prime membership:
The downside of this offer is that you’re going to have to pay for a $99 membership to qualify. The terms and conditions read “Offer only applies to the purchase of a non-discounted annual Amazon Prime membership.” So, monthly Prime subscribers, Prime Student accounts ($49 per year), Amazon Fresh and Prime Video subscriptions won’t be eligible for this offer.
At current TPG valuations of American Express Membership Rewards, this offer is worth $95. For spending $99, this is like buying Membership Rewards for 1.98 cents per point. If you value Membership Rewards points around the same level, this offer might be a good chance to get a head start on holiday gift giving. You can purchase a gifted Amazon Prime subscription here. Reportedly, your card will be charged now, but you can select a date in the future for the membership to begin.
If your membership renewal is coming up between now and the January 31 offer deadline, make sure to enroll in the offer now. These excellent offers are claimed quickly.
If you don’t have any American Express cards, here are some top offers to consider:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $5,000 in three months
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN: up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $25,000 in three months
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN: 50,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $5,000 in three months
How to Enroll
Remember that Amex Offers are targeted, so not every card will be included in this promotion. In order to see if you’ve been targeted — and to enroll in the offer — log in to your AmericanExpress.com account. Scroll down to the “Amex Offers and Benefits” section. You may need to click “Load More” to see the offer. If you have multiple cards linked under the same username/password, note that there’s a limit of one registration per Amex Offer per username/password. So, choose wisely if you have multiple targeted cards using the same login.
Terms and conditions of this offer include:
ELIGIBLE PURCHASES: Offer valid only at Amazon.com and via the US Amazon mobile app using your enrolled American Express Card after enrollment through 1/31/18. Not valid at international sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com. Offer only applies to the purchase of a non-discounted annual Amazon Prime membership, and does not apply to other Amazon memberships or subscriptions including but not limited to monthly Amazon Prime membership, Amazon Fresh, Prime Video or Prime Student. To the extent Membership Rewards points are used toward purchases, such purchases do not qualify for this offer. Purchases may fall outside of the offer period in some cases due to a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the additional points.
Featured image by Leon Neal via Getty Images
H/T: Deals We Like
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees