American Airlines Cargo Fire in Hong Kong Caught on Tape
A large fire broke out next to a Los Angeles (LAX)-bound American Airlines flight originating in Hong Kong (HKG) while cargo was being loaded on to the aircraft. The fire damaged the aircraft and resulted in the flight getting canceled and reportedly caused an injury to a worker escaping the fire.
The fire was caught on video by those in the terminal:
Twitter user JACDEC posted a compilation of photos from the incident:
Daniel Chan also caught stills of the fire and the firefighting response. Click the right arrow on the image to scroll through the photos:
Firefighters rushed to the scene and were able to put out the fire promptly. Still, the aircraft was damaged, forcing the cancellation of flight #192 from HKG-LAX. The aircraft is a three year old Boeing 777-300ER with the registration N727AN.
The good news is that the origin of the fire wasn’t from the cargo itself. Thus, the flight wasn’t at risk if it took off with the cargo. An American Airlines spokesperson has provided The Points Guy with the following statement:
An external piece of loading equipment had a mechanical issue and caught fire while preparing to put cargo in the hold of American Airlines flight 192 from Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX). As a result, a pallet on the loading equipment containing non-hazardous goods also caught fire. Boarding had not yet started when this occurred and no passengers or crew were injured. The operator of loading equipment is being looked after by medical professionals with non-life threatening injuries.
Shaquille Khan from AirlineGeeks reports that the aircraft is “out of service until at least tomorrow” due to the damage to the cargo door:
This article has been updated with the statement from American Airlines.
Featured image by Twitter user jimsciutto
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees