American Airlines Cargo Fire in Hong Kong Caught on Tape
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A large fire broke out next to a Los Angeles (LAX)-bound American Airlines flight originating in Hong Kong (HKG) while cargo was being loaded on to the aircraft. The fire damaged the aircraft and resulted in the flight getting canceled and reportedly caused an injury to a worker escaping the fire.
The fire was caught on video by those in the terminal:
Twitter user JACDEC posted a compilation of photos from the incident:
Daniel Chan also caught stills of the fire and the firefighting response. Click the right arrow on the image to scroll through the photos:
Firefighters rushed to the scene and were able to put out the fire promptly. Still, the aircraft was damaged, forcing the cancellation of flight #192 from HKG-LAX. The aircraft is a three year old Boeing 777-300ER with the registration N727AN.
The good news is that the origin of the fire wasn’t from the cargo itself. Thus, the flight wasn’t at risk if it took off with the cargo. An American Airlines spokesperson has provided The Points Guy with the following statement:
An external piece of loading equipment had a mechanical issue and caught fire while preparing to put cargo in the hold of American Airlines flight 192 from Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX). As a result, a pallet on the loading equipment containing non-hazardous goods also caught fire. Boarding had not yet started when this occurred and no passengers or crew were injured. The operator of loading equipment is being looked after by medical professionals with non-life threatening injuries.
Shaquille Khan from AirlineGeeks reports that the aircraft is “out of service until at least tomorrow” due to the damage to the cargo door:
This article has been updated with the statement from American Airlines.
Featured image by Twitter user jimsciutto
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.