American Airlines Cancelled Over 8,000 Flights Due to 2017 Hurricanes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It has been an extraordinary 2017 hurricane season. With over a month until the season ends, this year has already seen record-breaking storms Hurricane Harvey, Irma and Maria. Each one dealt a significant blow to United States — residents of Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands all experienced catastrophic losses.
In addition to the immeasurable loss felt by millions of people affected by this year’s storms, the travel industry was also dealt a blow. Thursday morning, we got to see just how much American Airlines was affected by the storms when the airline released its third quarter (July-September) financial results.
Just from those three major hurricanes, American Airlines recorded over 8,000 flight cancellations, and the airline calculated a loss from these storms of $75 million.
This loss wasn’t detailed. So, it’s unclear if this is just the direct impact of the storms or includes costs for the 2.5 million pounds of relief supplies, $350,000 corporate donation to the American Airlines Family Fund and awarded miles for the over $2 million in donations from AAdvantage members to the Red Cross.
American Airlines CEO Doug Parker didn’t dwell on the airline’s losses, instead praising the AA team and the airline industry as a whole for its response to the situation:
The hurricane response highlighted the humanity and professionalism of the American team, and our industry as a whole… The generous spirit of the American Airlines team was on full display as team members in Miami, Chicago and elsewhere packed meals and care packages for our colleagues and our customers in Puerto Rico.
American Airlines didn’t mention how much other natural disasters — such as typhoons in Asia and earthquakes in Mexico — impacted operations or profitability.
Despite the $75 million setback, the airline still recorded a net profit before taxes of just over $1 billion for the three month period.
Featured image by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees