This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American Airlines and United Airlines are offering cheap fares on flights from many US cities to Miami — many for less than $50. The cheapest fares are in basic economy, with regular Main Cabin or economy fares not much higher at just $88. These fares are generally available from October through December 2017, though you won’t find these rock-bottom prices around the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays.
If you do end up booking basic economy, make sure to sign-up for one of these credit cards to defeat Basic Economy and get a free checked bag, free carry-on bag and priority boarding:
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
- United MileagePlus Club Card (up to two free checked bags)
- United MileagePlus Club Business Card (up to two free checked bags)
Airline: American, United
Route: BWI, CLE, CMH, DTW, LGA, ORD, STL to MIA
Cost: $49+ round-trip in Basic Economy; $88 in Main Cabin
Dates: October – December
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Miami (MIA) for $48 round-trip in Basic Economy / $88 round-trip in economy:
Chicago (ORD) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $89 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Cleveland (CLE) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $113 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Detroit (DTW) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $113 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Columbus (CMH) to Miami (MIA) for $67 round-trip in Basic Economy / $107 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Baltimore (BWI) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $118 round-trip in Main Cabin:
New York (LGA) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $119 round-trip in Main Cabin:
St. Louis (STL) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $119 in Main Cabin:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, let us know in the comments below.
Featured image of by Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards