This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American Airlines and United Airlines are offering cheap fares on flights from many US cities to Miami — many for less than $50. The cheapest fares are in basic economy, with regular Main Cabin or economy fares not much higher at just $88. These fares are generally available from October through December 2017, though you won’t find these rock-bottom prices around the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays.
If you do end up booking basic economy, make sure to sign-up for one of these credit cards to defeat Basic Economy and get a free checked bag, free carry-on bag and priority boarding:
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
- United MileagePlus Club Card (up to two free checked bags)
- United MileagePlus Club Business Card (up to two free checked bags)
Airline: American, United
Route: BWI, CLE, CMH, DTW, LGA, ORD, STL to MIA
Cost: $49+ round-trip in Basic Economy; $88 in Main Cabin
Dates: October – December
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Miami (MIA) for $48 round-trip in Basic Economy / $88 round-trip in economy:
Chicago (ORD) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $89 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Cleveland (CLE) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $113 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Detroit (DTW) to Miami (MIA) for $49 round-trip in Basic Economy / $113 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Columbus (CMH) to Miami (MIA) for $67 round-trip in Basic Economy / $107 round-trip in Main Cabin:
Baltimore (BWI) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $118 round-trip in Main Cabin:
New York (LGA) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $119 round-trip in Main Cabin:
St. Louis (STL) to Miami (MIA) for $79 round-trip in Basic Economy / $119 in Main Cabin:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, let us know in the comments below.
Featured image of by Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees