This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
One of the better offers of the year is back! Originally offered from February through early April, the increased sign-up bonus of up to 35,000 points is back for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. But, you don’t have long to jump on this offer. This new offer is only available through November 1.
Here’s how the offer is structured: you’ll earn 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $6,000 on the card in the first three months from account opening. To maximize the bonus, you’ll need to spend an additional $4,000 in the first six months to earn an additional 10,000 Starpoints. The spend is slightly higher than the offer back in February, when you would have had to spend $5,000 to get 25,000 Starpoints.
In periods where 50,000 points seems to be a new minimum, 35,000 points may seem a little low. However, it’s important to remember the value of Starwood points. At 2.7 cents per point, Starpoints are the most valuable currency on TPG’s points/miles valuations. That means the 35,000-point sign-up bonus is worth around $945.
Thanks to the 1:3 transfer ratio between Starwood and Marriott, you can think of this sign-up bonus as 105,000 Marriott points instead. If you’re collecting Marriott points, this bonus will get you a lot closer to the super valuable Hotel + Air packages that get you airline miles plus up to a 7-night hotel stay.
While the $10,000 combined spending requirement is steep, this card offers a solid return on non-bonus spending. Based on TPG valuations, only the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express offers a better return on general spending. Even if you spend all $10,000 on non-bonus spending, you’ll end up with over a 12% return: 45,000 points (worth $1,215) from $10,000 spending.
Card Features and Benefits
This card earns you 2 Starpoints per dollar at Starwood (and now Marriott) properties and 1 point per dollar everywhere else. There’s a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year, and this card waives foreign transaction fees. Also, this card offers Sheraton Club access with eligible rates and access to discounts with FedEx, Hertz and more through the Amex OPEN Savings program.
Also, this card gives you a boost toward Starwood Preferred Guest elite status. The card offers two stay credits and five night credits each year toward status, and if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you’ll be upgraded to Starwood Gold status. If you do earn SPG status, make sure to match it to Marriott Rewards to enjoy perks across both programs.
Will you be going for the 25,000 or the 35,000 point offer?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott Cancun.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees