This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
One of the better offers of the year is back! Originally offered from February through early April, the increased sign-up bonus of up to 35,000 points is back for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. But, you don’t have long to jump on this offer. This new offer is only available through November 1.
Here’s how the offer is structured: you’ll earn 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $6,000 on the card in the first three months from account opening. To maximize the bonus, you’ll need to spend an additional $4,000 in the first six months to earn an additional 10,000 Starpoints. The spend is slightly higher than the offer back in February, when you would have had to spend $5,000 to get 25,000 Starpoints.
In periods where 50,000 points seems to be a new minimum, 35,000 points may seem a little low. However, it’s important to remember the value of Starwood points. At 2.7 cents per point, Starpoints are the most valuable currency on TPG’s points/miles valuations. That means the 35,000-point sign-up bonus is worth around $945.
Thanks to the 1:3 transfer ratio between Starwood and Marriott, you can think of this sign-up bonus as 105,000 Marriott points instead. If you’re collecting Marriott points, this bonus will get you a lot closer to the super valuable Hotel + Air packages that get you airline miles plus up to a 7-night hotel stay.
While the $10,000 combined spending requirement is steep, this card offers a solid return on non-bonus spending. Based on TPG valuations, only the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express offers a better return on general spending. Even if you spend all $10,000 on non-bonus spending, you’ll end up with over a 12% return: 45,000 points (worth $1,215) from $10,000 spending.
Card Features and Benefits
This card earns you 2 Starpoints per dollar at Starwood (and now Marriott) properties and 1 point per dollar everywhere else. There’s a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year, and this card waives foreign transaction fees. Also, this card offers Sheraton Club access with eligible rates and access to discounts with FedEx, Hertz and more through the Amex OPEN Savings program.
Also, this card gives you a boost toward Starwood Preferred Guest elite status. The card offers two stay credits and five night credits each year toward status, and if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you’ll be upgraded to Starwood Gold status. If you do earn SPG status, make sure to match it to Marriott Rewards to enjoy perks across both programs.
Will you be going for the 25,000 or the 35,000 point offer?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott Cancun.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees