This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
As we reported a few weeks ago, Hong Kong Airlines will soon launch nonstop service to Los Angeles, with all flights operated by brand-new Airbus A350 planes. Initially, fares started at $743 round-trip in economy, but they’ve since dropped considerably, to just $428 round-trip. Even better, American Airlines is matching, making this a great opportunity to earn AA miles and, perhaps, apply systemwide upgrades, theoretically making it possible for top-tier elites to fly round-trip to Hong Kong in business class for just $428.
Hong Kong Airlines will launch service to New York and San Francisco next year, so it’s possible that we’ll see these super-low fares in those markets as well.
Airlines: American, Asiana, Hong Kong Airlines
Routes: LAX/SEA/SFO to HKG
Cost: $428+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January – March 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $428 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $427 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $600 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $609 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of marco wong via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards